Child trailer suggestions

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,572
Hello all,

now have my Kona Minute, and am considering a few options.

Think I have ruled out the front stem/seat option, as have read too many instances of people not being able to cycle properly.
This leaves me with a Yepp Maxi and rack for the rear, and or a cycle trailer for longer runs perhaps.
I'm not going to spend £750 on a trailer, so am looking potentially for something more at the other end of the scale.

I have seen 3 that appear to be ok, just wondered if anyone had any experiences of these 3, or had other recommendations?
I was a little surprised that Decathlon, at least on their website, do not appear to have more than one option.

Halfords:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_724057_langId_-1_categoryId_165476
$(KGrHqZHJCYFHR8SuZkmBR6rf8H+qg~~60_35.JPG

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bumper-Explorer-Solo-Trailer/dp/B0011HVYEM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378668093&sr=8-2&keywords=child+trailer
81kjjq61bVL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bumper-Adventurer-Solo-Trailer/dp/B0011HVYME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378668093&sr=8-1&keywords=child+trailer
81Up9hOpYzL._SL1500_.jpg

Or should I look second hand?
Am in no hurry, at least 9 months til I will need one.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The entry level from Burley, called the Burley Bee is worth considering.

I have this one for my kids - has been an excellent purchase and still in regular use after 2 years. I still take my 3yr old and 6yr old to nursery and school in it on the same run.

5430_burley_bee_child_trailer.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I just got one of the Halfords ones you've linked to. We've had it a couple of weeks and have done a couple of spins in the local park then yesterday I took our 2 year old to the Wakefield Cycling in the City Event. I did about 11.5 miles and it was fine (if dragging 30kg or so of combined toddler and trailer weight can be called fine!). It's probably not the lightest, but it seems up to our needs of the odd weekend trip of that sort of length and it's fairly easy to assemble and attach.

One thing I would say is that it can be hard to track one down from Halfords. I couldn't find any in nearby stores and the website said it wasn't available for home delivery. I contacted customer services who managed to find one and get it transported to my local store, but even then this wasn't straight forward since the first time I dropped by to pick it up, the manager who was dealing with it wasn't in on that day and no-one knew anything about it, then when I finally got it, they over-charged me which meant I had to do another trip to the shop to get a refund for the difference. I did get 10% BC discount though which worked out well as it had 20% off online so cost me about £80 altogether
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    One thing to watch out for is the weight and the height of child the trailer can accommodate. If it is too low slung for example your child will outgrow it far too soon.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Daniel B wrote:
    Think I have ruled out the front stem/seat option, as have read too many instances of people not being able to cycle properly.

It all depends upon the geometry of the bike, and your leg length.

WIth our BoBike Mini, it was barely perceptible for me. With a WeeRide (further back, and wider) it was woeful.

So yeah.. I wouldn't rule it out. You can certainly get a feel for where it will sit on your bike by holding it up in a bike shop. But yeah, a cm either way can make a big difference, so be careful. But you're in no rush, so plenty of time to try it out.

2nd hand is great for trailers - and it's good all the ones you've listed have a good hitch which the axle goes through.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou for all those replies.

I will check out the burley bee, not a name I had come across.

Tigger - you say you have the Halfords one - I was unable to link to the actual Halfords pic, but on the pic on their website the plastic front looks really creased and probably headache inducing to look through, where as the Amazon one looks fairly clear - is this the case in reality, or just a bad publicity picture?

What type of bike are you pulling it on?

Thanks for the tip baudman - unfortunately I do have long legs, but if I can show one up at some point then I certainly will do.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Hi Dan,

The Halfords one has a mesh flyscreen and a clear plastic rain cover to go over it, both of which will roll up. I'd not say it was any more creased than the others. Also, the rain cover only needs to be down if it's wet, though I'd not do any real riding without either cover as the passenger position is perfect to catch any debris from the back wheel. I'd also say the little one can't probably see much out of the front anyway with the bike and rider in the way.

I was pulling it with a Spec Rockhopper MTB (middle ring all the way!) but I'd say it would be OK with anything apart from the most gossamer-light road bike (might be worth looking into it's compatibility with a carbon frame, mind)
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2013
    Just to update, managed to get a new unused one off ebay for just over £70.
    Not a huge saving, but was close to home, so still worthwhile.

Thanks for all the input.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Just remember, even though you are hot (pedalling) your child is not moving, thus needs warm blankets.