Buying components abroad

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Evening everyone

I'm planning to have a good spend up on new wheels and bars at the end of the month and am looking on the usual bike sites based in the up BUT are there European sites that'll have the same components for less? And can anyone recommend some?

Thanks

Ashley

Comments

• rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I have purchased from rose in Germany several times and I fully recommend them.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    The 2 German sites I always use are Rose and Bike Discount both very reliable.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I buy some stuff from Germany and Holland - usually arrives quicker and cheaper than if I'd used some UK sellers.

Generally though, UK sellers are pretty competitive so you're not really going to save a lot of money. Tyres are often cheaper from Germany though e.g. Schwalbe or Conti
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    german sites can save you a lot on some items, but there's no one site that's always best, so you need to take time checking, and often uk will be same or cheaper

http://www.bike-palast.com/en/ are often good for tyres, including vittoria, veloflex, 2-3 days shipping
    http://www.bike24.com/ saved me a few hundred euro vs. uk on some wheels last year
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Looking to buy some Fulcrum Racing Zero Dark Label wheels and the best price I can find in the UK is from Ribble at £719.99.

I've looked at some of the European sellers and Starbike.com have them for £630.66 including shipping to the UK.

Just wondered if others have used these guys and what your experiences are? Is the price they quote what you will pay or is there any duty etc that I'll also have to pay?

The saving over the UK prices seems to be worth looking into but just wanted to check it out a bit more.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    arran77 wrote:
    Looking to buy some Fulcrum Racing Zero Dark Label wheels and the best price I can find in the UK is from Ribble at £719.99.

With Ribble, you need to wait until they have one of their regular sales before buying wheels. Normally they increase the retail by 5% and then offer 10% off! It does vary though. One big advantage with UK sellers is that returns seem to be simpler.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arran77 wrote:
    Just wondered if others have used these guys and what your experiences are? Is the price they quote what you will pay or is there any duty etc that I'll also have to pay?

It's EU innit, so no extra VAT or duty.

(Switzerland is not in the EU by the way, just in case you're looking there.)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    arran77 wrote:

Thanks, it's just that on one of the sites I looked at it suggested duty / VAT / whatever you want to call it was included at 19% I think so just made me wonder.
    Rolf F wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

With Ribble, you need to wait until they have one of their regular sales before buying wheels. Normally they increase the retail by 5% and then offer 10% off! It does vary though. One big advantage with UK sellers is that returns seem to be simpler.

Will probably wait for this I think, like you say more straight forward with returns etc.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I have just bought a high powered front light from Germany (bike-discount) and it is no different from using a UK site.
    Package arrived just as quick and the best bit is I saved near £100 on a £200 light!
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    i hav just bought some new shoes and cleats from here, and even though had to wait for them to be delivered to the warehouse very good customer service bikeinn.com
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    arran77 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Thanks, it's just that on one of the sites I looked at it suggested duty / VAT / whatever you want to call it was included at 19% I think so just made me wonder..

At 19% VAT I assume the company is in Germany, their VAT is lower than the UK's 20% and Portugal's 23%, most countries and companies sell and collect VAT at their own rate, except Wiggle and Amazon who collect the rate of the country you are in so increase all their prices by 3% :shock:

But then Amazon is well known as a tax effecient company :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike