Puerto - 2020 vote

RoadPainter
RoadPainter Posts: 375
edited September 2013 in Pro race
In the Olympics 2020 vote thingy, it sounds like the Madrid delegation were unprepared for a question they received about Puerto and didn't answer well. This was believed by some TV reporter to be one of the reasons they didn't get it.
Wonder if this might see a change in attitude, probably not.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    The reason they didn't get it was because it wasn't Europe's turn - and Japan isn't in massive debt or plagued by civil unrest. I doubt the IOC give a crap about Puerto.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • much like the Spanish authorities, yip yip yip.

They don't do it in "turns" any more do they? Similarly to the World Cup, with emerging nations in the Far East and Africa meaning the turn based system of old is slightly diluted
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Rich, if Japan isn't in massive debt then I hate to think what your idea of a small loan is.........
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Japan's economy has been screwed for aaaages hasn't it?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Terrible debt yes. But mostly to Japanese orgs and people, unlike Spain which makes a huge difference.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,926
    It would be nice to think that the Spanish apparent indifference to doping had an impact and will give them a kick up the backside to get things in order but I agree that it is much more likely to be down to the reasons Rich cites (particularly the financial side and their subsequent low key presentation that probably added to the impression that they couldn't afford it!). However, even if doping was the big vote loser I suspect the Spanish authorities would bury their heads and blame the financial situation. I understand Turkey were grilled on their doping record too.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I thought Spain had a new anti doping chief (female) start this year who has made all the right noises. Or maybe I made that up in my head.
    Anyhow, BBC analysis suggests European support for Spain wasn't strong because other euro cities will be bidding for 2024 and a euro games in 2020 would preclude that.