Oversoes or toe covers?

triathlonthomas
triathlonthomas Posts: 69
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
I suffer pretty badly from cold toes in the winter months, particularly when it's wet / windy.

Does anyone have any experience of overshoes versus toe covers?

I am considering buying a pair of the proper Rapha neoprene overshoes but wondering whether I could get away with something like the Castelli neoprene to covers instead? After all, it's mostly just the toes that freeze...

Cheers

Comments

• I use overshoes in winter and they do a great job of keeping your feet warm. I'm not convinced you need the premium brands for great perormance. You'll find different degrees of thickness and waterproofing, so I'd check out some reviews.

On my autumn and spring morning (20 mile) commutes, my toes get cold in the first half of the ride if I don't wear overshoes, but when I do, my feet get too hot and/or my socks get wet from sweat, as the temperature rises on the second half of the ride. I am planning on getting some toe covers as result, as they are easier to whip off and stuff into a jersey pocket.
  • First tangent of the thread, wool socks. I used to suffer hideously with cold feet. Going clipless helped and I went for full on neoprene overshoes again improvement. For no good reason I bought some Defeet Wooliebullys amazing difference. The overshoes went from deep sea divers boot to waterproof fleece lined. Using shoes with a little more room I have ridden down to -7 with no numb toes.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Neoprene overshoes will transform your winter riding. Don't need to go for the expensive ones though - I reckon the £20 ones seem to do a perfectly good job and you won't be distraught when they pick up cuts and tears.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    agreed on the cheap neoprene overshoes ie planet x they are great and even though you will eventually get wet feet (as with all overshoes) they will keep you warm, combined with wool socks you should have no problems
    toe covers are good for spring autumn as an extra bbut do not compare imo
    i need more bikes
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    ben16v wrote:
    agreed on the cheap neoprene overshoes ie planet x they are great and even though you will eventually get wet feet (as with all overshoes) they will keep you warm, combined with wool socks you should have no problems
    toe covers are good for spring autumn as an extra bbut do not compare imo

+1, they do different things. I use toe covers around now when it's cool first thing but warms up during the ride. Overshoes are essential for winter, keep you dry and warm. Planet X ones are good.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They serve two different purposes - toe covers for chilly morning so you can remove them and stuff them in your pocket. Neoprene overshoes for when you are riding in the cold/wet. Likewise, thicker wooly socks (Woolie Boolies) and having shoes that don't constrict bloodflow in you feet are equally important for the cold. Expensive overshoes are a false economy - they don't last any longer IME. Go for 5mm thick ones from Pro or Endura if you want warmth.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • What do people think about lycra overshoes (Prendas, Castelli, Sidi etc.) for not-so-cold conditions?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Mechanism wrote:
    What do people think about lycra overshoes (Prendas, Castelli, Sidi etc.) for not-so-cold conditions?

Quite effective, I tend to use these unless its pretty cold or wet. Them I switch to the Planet X neoprene ones.
  • Overshoes work well, but as pointed out above, get a rated model. Be aware that they can easily get holes in them when walking in cycling shoes unless strengthened in the required areas (heel/toes).

Another tip I had once was to get a spare pair of shoes a size bigger, then you can fit nice wooly socks. Very good if you do a lot of winter riding.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Toe Covers are great when the temperature drops a little about this time of year, I put them on my shoes and they live on the shoes 'ready to ride'.

Overshoes are different, bit more faff before setting off, also I have two lots. One set of waterproof Pro H20 ones to keep feet dry (also use these as a next step up from toe covers for a bit more warmth). For rides when it approaches freezing I have a pair of par warmer thermal Gore ones, well sub-zero have been known to ride with one thin pair of socks, one wool and these overshoes and never have got cold feet or toes at all.

...oh, also have a third pair of overshoes for aero purposes in TTing :)
  • I bought some very cheap btwin overshoes from decathlon last year, it was the best cash I've spent.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I bought Planet-X neoprene overshoes for 15 quid three years ago. Even in the depths of a Highland winter they've never left with with cold or wet feet on or off road.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Buy both. Ive found that in really filthy and cold conditions my perfect combo has been a pair of Woolie boolies, some toe covers over the shoes, then a pair of overshoes as well. This has pretty much banished cold feet for me. Separately, as other have said, the toe covers and overshoes work best in different temperature ranges, but having both means you've got really flexible options to cover all bases. Coincidentally I found this the other day from Mavic which seems to suggest the same solution:
    http://www.mavic.com/en/technology/appa ... ide-Pocket

Found this b
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...