Norco Aurum 3

mac-cos
mac-cos Posts: 80
edited September 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Just got this late last week. I had been toying with the idea of building up a Giant Glory '13 frame but they werent exactly many around to check out /buy. Spotted the Aurums, and as it was cheaper than the list for a glory frame (if they were available in medium) it seemed to good to pass up.

Pics:[img]]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/macca916/IMG_0746_zps46c900ac.jpg[[/img]
IMG_0743_zps839a03ea.jpg

Frame: Aurum 3
Forks: Rockshok Domain R dual crown
Bars: Spank Spoon 760 mm wide 20mm rise bar
Stem: Spank Director direct mount

Front Brake: Avid Elixir 3 disc brake 200 mm rotor
Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 3 disc brake 200 mm rotor

Shifters: XT 10spd
Rear Mech: Deore SG Shadow
Chain Device: e-Thirteen

Seat: Charge Spoon Ti
Seat Post: Reverb 380/125mm

Cranks: RaceFace Chester
Chainring(s):36t (waiting for a 32T thick /thin)
Chain: KMC 10spd
Cassette: XT11-36
Pedals: NoBrand Flats
Bottom Bracket:

Wheels: OEM

Weight: 40lbs

Other info: I swapped in the reverb seat post /the spoon was already attached so is there for now. I also fitted a 10speed drivetrain as the stock oem was a little short on range and climbing capacity (11-28) as there are no up lifts roud here :) . The domains are heavy and may be swapped later for something lighter. Not had a chance to test in anger but it pedaled ok on the short run I've had so its descending prowes is waiting to be expored.

Comments

• mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    Does look nice that
  • Well its back from a quick run in the local woods. The Aurum seems to handle the downhill tracks a lot more securely than my Reign X2 which always felt a bit tank slappy on the fast bits and like it wanted to endo at the slightest provacation (sometimes sucessfully too). I fitted the 32T Raceface Thick/thin before going out and it climbed ok if a little harder than the reign though that has the bail out 24/36 combo for tired legs, may keep an eye out for a 30T if anyone ever gets some stock. Overall v'happy just wonder if the missus will spot the difference between this and the black/grey Reign :shock:
    PS since I fitted the clutch mech and thick/thin chain ring I've removed the e-thirteen chain device.
    IMG_0749_zps3a276504.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    these things aren't made for climbing... I can't see that working without a guide if it's being used for its intended purpose, could do with a shorter cage mech as well really.
    As for the reign, I've never had any problem with mine feeling front heavy or anything, sounds like you had your fork set up wrong. Mine feels really stable at speed too, mind you I do have an angleset in it. Still, it sounds more ideal for the sort of riding you want to do than this...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I suspect an angleset would help with the reign as it does feel a bit steep at the front . The aurum rear mech is a clutch mech and I couldnt find any in shortcage sizes (happy to be corrected) so relying on the current hype regarding these and thick/thin rings not dropping chains, time will tell though there isnt any big air whoops local that I've found -maybe not going fast enough
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I got a stock alert for a 30t from Merlin earlier. I already have mine so didn't check...

Green though.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    I got a stock alert for a 30t from Merlin earlier. I already have mine so didn't check...

Green though.
    Cheers just ordered one
  • Lovely bike however the white looks a bit out of place
  • Very nice. You will need a chain device and you wont get it climbing. Its a DH race bike and designed purely for getting down hills as fast as possible, I have ridden one of these and it is very easy to ride fast.
    I would have thought that a 32t will be far too small when you get faster, I wouldn't go smaller than a 36t.
    Either push up or get on some uplifts.
  • Very nice. <SNIP>
    I'll just get the local forestry commission to fit some :?
    It actually climbs ok given its wieght not a huge amount of pedal bob. Trying a 30T front this weekend hopefully, if it doesnt work out I'm sure it will go ok on ebay or gumtree/here.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Mac-cos wrote:
    Very nice. <SNIP>
    I'll just get the local forestry commission to fit some :?
    It actually climbs ok given its wieght not a huge amount of pedal bob. Trying a 30T front this weekend hopefully, if it doesnt work out I'm sure it will go ok on ebay or gumtree/here.

That's a lot of bike to buy on a whim and eBay the next week!

It's very nice but maybe a long travel trail bike would be better if you want to climb with it as well?

RM suggested uplift days because they are what this bike is built for. Try Googling for something near you.
  • 30t is WAY too small on a downhill bike. You will be spinning out 90% of the time. Do you want it to work for what its designed to do? I have ridden an Aurum and its a very fast downhill bike but you need the gearing right to get the best out of it. I would buy one of these over a Specialized Demo or Giant Glory and if I could have got it anywhere other than Evans I would have bought one rather than my Scalp.
    If you want a bike which you can ride uphill you have got the wrong bike.
    There's no uplift where I do most of my riding but I would much rather keep useful gearing and push up plus riding up in armour is a bitch.
  • ta for all the sage advice , I think 30T may well be too short for fast tracks but most of the local downhills are very knarly so I've yet to top out 11/36 on the on the Reign X (though its not the most stable) . The geo of the aurum makes this stuff feel soo much easier, i think its down a more in the bike feel than perched on top of the Reign which with "only" 160mm or theareabouts travel and steeper steerer and seat tube angles feels very tall .
  • I had a 2011 Reign X2 before I got my Scalp. The Reign is ok but on a DH bike like the Scalp or Aurum you can ride so much faster. Also you need the taller gearing so you aren't cranking too fast or you will get loads of pedal strikes and struggle with stability while pedalling.
    You should get out on an uplift day though. Its a lot of fun. All your energy goes in to the fun bits and over a day you get a lot faster.
  • very nice bike .

may i ask how much that all cost?
  • fredblob wrote:
    very nice bike .

It's on the Evans website at 1785 bit of a bargain when giant want 1799 for just a frame (glory)
  • Mac-cos wrote:
    fredblob wrote:
    very nice bike .

It's on the Evans website at 1785 bit of a bargain when giant want 1799 for just a frame (glory)

that is a good deal :P :P
  • It's a lovely bike and is a bargain, every time I see or here Norco I think about buying this bike.

Do not sacrifice any downhill performance for uphill performance!

I would rather push for half hour a time then try to ride it uphill, don't you apreciate the rest it gives you on the push up?!
  • There is some method in my madness for climbing as its also part of my wieght loss/fitness activity :) so far I've climbed up the fireroads in the local wood and yes its bit harder going than the reign X but still manageble with the dropper post, not maxed out on the 30/11 but as said the descents I'm riding are knarly not flat out, though I could just be slow.
    Just changed out the rear spring for a 400lb one (stock on a medium is 350) as I was at +40%sag on max preload. Got it down to 30% sag with 1 turn of preload so seems to be about right, just need to test it in anger.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    by the looks of it, if you actually spent some time setting up the Reign properly, you would get more out of it. Shorter stem for a start. Fit an angleset as well (they're not the slackest bikes out there) and it would be good to go. Mine has a -2 angleset in it, 170mm f+r and and absolutely rips the descents. Took it out to morzine this summer, absolutely no complaints (bar the snapped linkage). That would be a much cheaper solution than a new bike.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    by the looks of it, if you actually spent some time setting up the Reign properly, you would get more out of it. Shorter stem for a start. Fit an angleset as well (they're not the slackest bikes out there) and it would be good to go. Mine has a -2 angleset in it, 170mm f+r and and absolutely rips the descents. Took it out to morzine this summer, absolutely no complaints (bar the snapped linkage). That would be a much cheaper solution than a new bike.
    One bike is not enough, variety is the spice of life (or was it Heinz?).. The reign isnt going anywhere and its one I use when out cycling with the missus and will take up winter slop duties . :)
  • Mac-cos wrote:
    rear mech is a clutch mech and I couldnt find any in shortcage sizes (happy to be corrected)

:? Saint & Zee...You really want the FR version of the Zee mech on that setup (with the 11-36 cassette)

Btw - If that's a medium cage Deore Shadow+ mech I'd have it off you (bearing in mind they're only £37.50 new from Merlin :wink: )

I wouldn't go smaller than a 34t on a DH bike. With a 30t you're gonna feel like the chains slipped off half the time! which it might if you do any proper DH trails without a proper chain device fitted

Looks good though.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt wrote:

Thats true. I had a Reign X and with a little set up it will do everything you want. If you're not racing or riding black graded dh tracks the Reign X is better. I just found mine a bit hard going when racing on black dh tracks. Other than that I could ride it down anything comfortably.
  • would a Reign X take a 180mm Domain 318? with a slackset?

Trek Session 8
  • would a Reign X take a 180mm Domain 318? with a slackset?

You wouldn't want both. I had a 170mm Lyrik with a slackset and it felt slack as your mum.
  • :lol: tres drole!

So a 180mm fork would slaken it off plenty.

Would a coil shock be any good on a Rein X?

Trek Session 8
  • My Reign x came with a coil. I would rather have a coil on it than an air shock.