ruined crankset?

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Basically, I tightened up the zee left hand crank arm clamp bolts without the spacer in, and pulled the thread out of one of the bolt holes in the crank arm.

Is it possible to A) "rethread" the hole. (cant remember the name of that right now)

or B) buy a single zee crank arm from shimano

I don't want to go to plan C

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I know it is possible to rethread it. I got into a mess with my pedals once and ruined the thread on the crank arm for the pedal. Took it to my LBS and they used some tool to rethread it. I don't know if they have the tool for that size however
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Helicoil is the word you are looking for.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Buy an M6 helicoil kit and a torque wrench.
  • Ok sounds good, do you know if the M6 helicoil kit will work on ZEE?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's a kit that puts thread into anything where someone has ripped it out, so yes.

The 'spacer' (it's not a spacer) doesn't prevent you ripping the thread out by applying too much torque
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But fitting a helicoil is best left to a pro.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok no worries I'm going to take it to the mechanic he's going to tap a new thread, I dont think that's the same as helicoil.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you've stripped the thread, there'll be nothing to re-tap, hence need for Helicoil. helicoil isn't difficult if you have the right tools - kits available on ebay for £15.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Re-tap at a bigger bolt size - m7
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and do not tighten the bolts up one at a time or you will just do the same again.

do them a little at a time to apply even pressure.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown