Who supplies Cyclocross wheelset WITH tubs

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
I would like to buy 2-3 sets of tubular wheels to last the Cross season with tubs 'attached'.

Who provides a fitting service and can advise on combinations?

Thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Planet X will glue tubs for a small fee. Why can't you or your LBS do it? You'll need to learn eventually...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try Paolo (Ugo Santalucia) on this forum or others like e.g. Just Riding Along, Paul Hewitt etc. Velocity Major Tom are a good rim choice- wider rim suits the shape of CX tubs better.
    Only the really serious use 3 sets of wheels - hard pack, 'normal' and mud and sometimes combinations of the two. Tubular choice is as much down to your local conditions and budget - FMB/Dugast if you're flush or more typically Challenge/Vittoria/Schwalbe. See what your local league riders are using.
    I'd recommend Belgian method for glueing tubs - extra layer of cotton tape holds the tyre more firmly when running lower pressures - I've had tubs roll with glue-only on narrower, road rims.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Major tom is the rim of choice if you want to ride tubs, it's larger and the tyre sits well. As Monty says, see what your opposition rides, tubs only really help you if you need a tyre you can run at really low pressure... so it's really up to conditions, course, weather etc...
    left the forum March 2023