Anyone know of any non-padded shorts?

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited September 2013 in Women's cycling forum
Apparently I'm the only cyclist in the world who doesn't wear padded shorts. :D

All my cycling is currently being done in 3/4 length running leggings. They're fairly decent Adidas ones so are very comfortable but getting a bit warm now the weather is improving. I tried some tight running shorts but they were too short for cycling - my inner thighs were brushing the saddle.

Cycle shorts look quite a bit longer, but every pair I've seen is padded. Can you buy non-padded ones? Or can anyone recommend any where the padding is easy to remove?

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got a pair of Speedo "trunks" that are just ike lycra shorts with a longer leg and no padding, used to wear them in the gym. May be look at their range?

Out of interest, why do you not wear, nor want to wear, a "pad"?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    You could look for non cycling ones such as Nike Pro shorts or Skins designed as undershorts but if you don't want a pad it could be your only option
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Thanks both, I'll look for longer non-cycling shorts.

Whyte made such a perfect saddle that I've had no pain or numbness at all in my butt or *ahem* undercarriage and I've had up to four hours in the saddle. In the spirit of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' I'm reluctant to add padding where I'm already comfortable.

I don't wear cycle gloves either. My handlebar cushioning is really nice. Tried my padded cycle gloves that I needed on my old bike and they actually made it uncomfortable!
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    I hate-hate-hate padded shorts too. I use running tights, and have cut off a couple of pairs of leggings (just normal cheap ones - only use them for thermals when I'm cycling in short running shorts). I mostly have capri's (knee and calve length) but I've got 2 pairs of full length running tights - one thermal and one just full length. I have no complaints with them - I've had a particular pair for about 6 years now and they're still going strong.

Padded shorts just create a bigger area of pain for me, same with excessively padded gloves - though I do use a pair of sealskins, they're not too bad.

Addendum: Rohan did cycling gear with (I think) a removeable padded insert but they are extortionately expensive.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Have a look at rowing kit.
  • A compromise would be triathlon shorts. Reduced pad, also they dry quickly if you get caught in a heavy downpour!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    Hello Pinkteapot !

First of all, you're silly not to wear gloves. If you have an off, the first thing you will do when you are heading 'south' is put yer hands out. Don't you remember grazed knees and hands in the playground from tripping up? What did you do when you fell?
    So wear gloves - especially when group riding as you cannot control other peoples actions, just in case you come off.

Now padded shorts. Good ones are like sitting on a big cushty nappy. If your are planning long rides (2hrs plus) I seriously recommend some padded shorts and yes, you can get ones with removeable inserts but why? If you are comfortable now (a very envious position indeed - Re.: Bloody saddle this, bloody saddle that. Omnipresent on this forum), a pair of padded shorts is not going to compromise that.

I better get back to the blood and guts of BB before I am spotted. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I have some just above knee length shorts I got from a Decathlon store. They are basically a cycling short minus the padding.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • pinno
    I have some just above knee length shorts I got from a Decathlon store. They are basically a cycling short minus the padding.

You wear them because you're a naughty tart that should have been banned for dodgy poetry even though it took a path and a momentum of its own that became uncontrollable. Like a house party that gets gate crashed by hooligans and fooligans with mal intent.
    You wanted a camp fire and burnt the whole forrest down.

What you doing here? Stalking me? or maybe...

...trying to act cute and responsible with a worthwhile contribution to BR? :D

I tried that and it didn't work - there's street cred in kicking up the dust, roll with it. :wink:
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Apparently I'm the only cyclist in the world who doesn't wear padded shorts. :D

All my cycling is currently being done in 3/4 length running leggings. They're fairly decent Adidas ones so are very comfortable but getting a bit warm now the weather is improving. I tried some tight running shorts but they were too short for cycling - my inner thighs were brushing the saddle.

Cycle shorts look quite a bit longer, but every pair I've seen is padded. Can you buy non-padded ones? Or can anyone recommend any where the padding is easy to remove?

Apparently you are not the only one.( so don't feel lonely :D ). Same do I. I use Danskin3/4 and short leggins, which are made for dancing, triathlon, training, yoga and have no pads and are breathable and have very strong seams.

You can try equestrian clothing as well. These kind of leggins are better for winter though as the upper part of the leggins is usually waterproof. But they have also summer leggins and some with very light pad. The best thing in equestrian leggins is that the seams are om the outside and have fantastic combinations of colors. :)
  • Alitogata
    I'll never get what's the use of pads on women's cycling clothing. They work great for men due to their anatomy but for women are totally useless. What works best for women is a good and anatomically right saddle than using leggins with pads.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Alitogata wrote:
    I'll never get what's the use of pads on women's cycling clothing. They work great for men due to their anatomy but for women are totally useless. What works best for women is a good and anatomically right saddle than using leggins with pads.
    I'd rather buy a pair of padded shorts than have to keep swapping my saddle as I hunt for the "right" one but each to their own.
  • Alitogata
    suzyb wrote:
    Alitogata wrote:
    I'd rather buy a pair of padded shorts than have to keep swapping my saddle as I hunt for the "right" one but each to their own.

I know that is a little bit trouble to find the right saddle but when you'll find the proper saddle for you, you will not need to limit your clothing choices in order to feel more comfortable. I ended up, ( after a few test rides) that the best saddle for me is Soma Kamisori saddle, and I stopped buying very specialized or expensive clothing which would cost me more in the long run. :)
  • A few brands have removable pads. I've got a very comfortable pair of Nalini shorts with a removable pad which are fine without the pad.

Be careful about using running tights, yoga leggings etc. as these might have seams which could chafe very unpleasantly - look to see where the seams are and if they are flatlocked and smooth.
  • Another vote for no padding! I find the pads just chafe and generally annoy me. I can spend 8 hours on a day ride and have no problem unpadded, and it's not a soppy gel saddle either. Periodically, I'll push myself onto the very back of the saddle just to relieve pressures forward and make sure there's blood going where it's supposed to!

In summer, it's too hot for legs, so I wear a running skirt with built-in knickers, WHICH SAVES THAT TERRIBLE MID-THIGH TAN LINE!!!! But I can then end up sticking to the saddle a bit around the edges, and could do with a cloth saddle cover, but haven't seen any.

And apart from anything else, doesn't padded wear look awful?
  • pinno
    Another vote for no padding...

No, and not on women either. We are all anatomically different so one things works for one person and...

Maybe you have an official vote and create a 'Padding poll' ? :wink:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    look everyone is different for sure, and I hated the padded look to begin with because it felt stupid to wear and made me feel terribly self concious as you assume everyone is staring and pointing at you with them, but I stuck with them because I found on long rides both distance & time wise they were far more comfy and I could actually sit down in a chair afterwards. Certainly different brands of shorts can vary on how good the padding is, some are terrible, some the fit isnt well good frankly, but much like seats you have to shop around to find ones that work for you, but I wouldnt swap back now personally.

and you say the padded wear looks awful, ok I passed this family group out cycling at the weekend,mom/pop and couple of kids and the mom who was at the back was just wearing standard white cotton tshirt & black leggings, and Im guessing it was a mixture of maybe overheating abit or getting caught in a rain shower, but they werent protecting her modesty at all its reasonably fair to say, however comfy she might have thought they were, see thru leggings are not a good look either :shock:
  • Another vote for no padding! I find the pads just chafe and generally annoy me. I can spend 8 hours on a day ride and have no problem unpadded, and it's not a soppy gel saddle either. Periodically, I'll push myself onto the very back of the saddle just to relieve pressures forward and make sure there's blood going where it's supposed to!

In summer, it's too hot for legs, so I wear a running skirt with built-in knickers, WHICH SAVES THAT TERRIBLE MID-THIGH TAN LINE!!!! But I can then end up sticking to the saddle a bit around the edges, and could do with a cloth saddle cover, but haven't seen any.

I recently discovered the equestrian clothing and especially the leggings that horse riders use which have most of the characteristics that a bike rider wants, without looking so technical.
    Most of them have no seams on the crotch area, some have chamois padding, and all of the other seams are stitched inside out on the top of the legs, all the way down to thighs and calves. They are insulated and breathable, low cut on the front and with a higher cut on the waist area for coverage and they have fantastic colors and fabrics.
    And prices start from 10 euros.
    Very comfortable, I bought two for testing but I will certainly buy more for my winter rides because look like ordinary leggings and I can wear them all day long without having to change clothes depending the occasion. ( I change shoes though, but usually match with any kind of shoes, either casual or not). :)