Prob with seatpost

Time.to.ride
Time.to.ride Posts: 463
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i just purchased an On-One Scandal frame but and despite having the right size seatpost and clamp when i sit on the saddle the post does lower itself slightly is there anything i can do to stop this?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tighten the clamp more, or get a better clamp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The clamp is tight mate lol the superstar clamp is a good solid one not sure if i could fit something inside the tube to help the fit
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Clean it - there will be some grease on it to protect the bit inside the frame and graunch the clamp - massively tight. I had the same. Putting a sleeve in would suggest that the post diameter is well under what is needed.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The clamp is tight mate lol the superstar clamp is a good solid one not sure if i could fit something inside the tube to help the fit
    well is seems that you are not doing it up tight enough. or the post is the wrong size for the frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yeah FishFish i know mate but it is the perfect size that is what i dont get?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If everything is the right size you could try some carbon friction paste. What Superstar seatclamp is it? Some of them are absolute rubbish. If it is the right size it needs to be tighter but if it's a rubbish clamp you won't be able to get it tight enough.

Don't On One still use a slightly odd seatclamp size on their frames that's like 0.2mm smaller than a standard size or is that only the old steel frames?
  • cooldad
    FishFish wrote:
    Clean it - there will be some grease on it to protect the bit inside the frame and graunch the clamp - massively tight. I had the same. Putting a sleeve in would suggest that the post diameter is well under what is needed.
    I always grease seatposts - old habit, and don't have any problems with slipping.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've heard other people post similar on other forums about Scandals. Mine definitely needs a lot of tightening. Carbon paste helps, or try one of those double clamps.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mcnultycop wrote:
    or try one of those double clamps.
    you mean the crap Crank Brothers ones?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    nicklouse wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    or try one of those double clamps.
    you mean the crap Crank Brothers ones?
    Exotic do one. Never tried one though.
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I'd second the clamp not being tight enough. If the design is one that doesn't offer enough mechanical advantage you'll think you're doing an adequate job of tightening when it's not doing much - I had the same experience with Q/R skewers some time back. I've had no problems with my Scandal frame (On-one Al seatpost and On-one clamp) and it never feels like I'm putting much effort in with the clamp.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • peter413 wrote:
    If everything is the right size you could try some carbon friction paste. What Superstar seatclamp is it? Some of them are absolute rubbish. If it is the right size it needs to be tighter but if it's a rubbish clamp you won't be able to get it tight enough.

Don't On One still use a slightly odd seatclamp size on their frames that's like 0.2mm smaller than a standard size or is that only the old steel frames?

Its one of the Superlight range i did use the carbon paste and it seems to have halted the problem have also ordered the Exotic double clamp as suggested so will see if that makes a difference? Cheers guys
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Superfly? I really didn't like it, swapped it out for a Hope very quickly. It really hurt my hand to get it tight enough so unless you experienced the same I would say you just hadn't done it tight enough.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Tighten the clamp more, or get a better clamp.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check the frame size, I recall a recent post about an on-one bike where a measurement with some calipers showed the frame reamed too big, I'm sure it was a Scandal.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I checked with my lbs mechanic this morning and he measured the seatpost diameter with his calipers and it is the right size, yes Peter i do think its hard to tighten but now i put the carbon paste on the tube its all tight now so drama over but still going to fit the double clamp version from Exotic when it arrives.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    it can happen. especially with lightweight clamps. my solution is to smear a little bit of carbon assembly past - it is a grease with tine embedded peices of grit that are supposed to help sopt the post from sliding.

if that does not help and you feel you are tightening the clamp to the point when the bolt is about to snap - what I found is that the clamp ends start to bend so the force applied is bending the clamp and not goiing into holdihng the post - my solution here is to fit a spacer in the gap - as the clamp is tightend, the outer ends of the clamp touch the spacer so addition tightening is bringing in the inner ends only and not bending the clamp ....h mmm probalby does not make sense - let me find photo showing what I mean.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    see here:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... &mode=view

the outer ends of the clamp in the gap are touching the spacer so as the bolt is done up, the inner ends are brough closer together, without the spacer the ends would just bend.

hope that made it clearer?????
  • cooldad
    Seriously?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lol@ cooldad i did get the meaning but its all sorted now as i said i used the carbon paste and it works a treat.

Cheers for the helpful advice though guys