Oh the beautiful smell of hypocrisy

raymondo60
raymondo60 Posts: 735
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
From BBC Sport Website;

"The Professional Footballers Association has released a statement saying that chief executive Gordon Taylor continues to have the "full support" of the union following allegations of gambling debts.

The Sun reported on Thursday that Taylor made 2,000 bets, including wagers on football, and bet £4m in 30 months"

This is a man who has gone on record over many years blurting out to all and sundry of the dangers of young (highly overpaid and stupid) footballers getting involved in gambling. £4m in 30 months! A Union Official! You really couldn't make it up...............
Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Interesting ...

It seems that every other ad on TV these days is for online gambling and offering inducements to get you hooked
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    From BBC Sport Website;

"The Professional Footballers Association has released a statement saying that chief executive Gordon Taylor continues to have the "full support" of the union following allegations of gambling debts.

The Sun reported on Thursday that Taylor made 2,000 bets, including wagers on football, and bet £4m in 30 months"

This is a man who has gone on record over many years blurting out to all and sundry of the dangers of young (highly overpaid and stupid) footballers getting involved in gambling. £4m in 30 months! A Union Official! You really couldn't make it up...............

I don't know which is the most surprising, the story about Gordon Taylor or the fact that you seem genuinely surprised at a union official with his snout in the trough.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    As with the FA, UEFA and FIFA. Even though disgraced I doubt he will resign. Complete buffoonery runs football and there needs to be a revolution in terms of the way it is administered on all levels.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    As with the FA, UEFA and FIFA. Even though disgraced I doubt he will resign. Complete buffoonery runs football and there needs to be a revolution in terms of the way it is administered on all levels.

I don't know, look at the behaviour of the people in the stands at most top flight games or read some of the internet message boards and the administrative arm of football seems entirely appropriate for the people who go and watch.

As for Gordon Taylor...he never sounded quite right to me whenever I heard him on the radio or TV, coming over as a slightly oily character who wasn't to be believed as he repeatedly defended people who should know better for their childish behaviour so I guess I now know my suspicions were correct :|
  • smoggysteve

I don't know, look at the behaviour of the people in the stands at most top flight games or read some of the internet message boards and the administrative arm of football seems entirely appropriate for the people who go and watch.

As for Gordon Taylor...he never sounded quite right to me whenever I heard him on the radio or TV, coming over as a slightly oily character who wasn't to be believed as he repeatedly defended people who should know better for their childish behaviour so I guess I now know my suspicions were correct :|

You seem to be tarring a lot of people with a very big brush if you are suggesting all football fans act or behave in a certain way. For every lout, there are hundreds of model fans who behave and act impeccably.

I have lost all confidence in the people who are meant to regulate the game and those who represent many areas in its governance or unions. It has corrupt and become more corrupt the higher you go. Qatar's world cup bid is a case in point. Money was put above the fans. Anyone could see it was a bad decision the second it was announced. A country with inhospitable weather, a less than stellar history in the game and dodgy human rights issues. I am not suggesting it should always go to a traditional country in football terms, but at least one which would make for a pleasant and reasonably easy place to visit for the common man.

Ordinary fans are being priced out in England. All to pay ever more undeserved wages to players that barely deserve them. Instead of a team spending 50 million or more on a player, why not use that money to subsidize ticket prices? Seeing a player on a pitch earning 30 grand week in front of a crowd that is full of empty seats is insulting. Noone seems to be doing anything to deal with this. Sure they may introduce rules for financial fair play but it still does little to protect the fans. It just means they can't go bust buying the same undeserving players.

FIFA and UEFA Could easily sort this out. They could make rules that leveled the playing field and stop the runaway money train but they are too busy lining their own pockets out of it. Corruption has been proven at the very top. Sepp Blatter is an embarrassment with some of his gaffs. i.e his comments on gay fans visiting Qatar. Utter lunacy!

With all this, why should we be surprised when someone like Gordon Taylor is caught up in such a scandal?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Fans are only being mugged off because they continue to go along with it, they really just need to vote with their feet. That's bearing in mind you are only talking about the top level of the game, which is a trap the media encourage us to fall into by talking as if nothing really exists outside of the top tier. I'd recommend going and supporting a local non-league side or even get involved with running a club, you'll have a much better time than wasting an afternoon watching some guy who can't even act very well fake injury.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Fans are only being mugged off because they continue to go along with it, they really just need to vote with their feet. That's bearing in mind you are only talking about the top level of the game, which is a trap the media encourage us to fall into by talking as if nothing really exists outside of the top tier. I'd recommend going and supporting a local non-league side or even get involved with running a club, you'll have a much better time than wasting an afternoon watching some guy who can't even act very well fake injury.

Pretty much this. Arsenal fans are like a zombie horde, paying stupid prices for no trophies, or decent players. Not that I want to get into a club rivalry thing, they just typify this.

Follow (not support, prices are too high for league one) Leyton Orient myself.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yup, a combination of the above is the reason why I am no longer interested in football although I grew up loving the game and i refuse to subscribe to sky sports. I'm looking forward to the day when the proletariat rise up against the bourgeoisie and say enough is enough
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Football is a great sport but my body is no longer up to playing competitively and like many others I've pretty much lost all interest in watching - I still follow my team's results and go a couple of times a season as my youngest daughter is into football but there just doesn't seem the same atmosphere in the grounds that there used to be on the terraces.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I gave up with football at about 18y.o. The violence/faked injury/prima donna wage demands has got worse as time went on. At about 28 got into watching Rugby Union. Returning to Glos, I have been to at least a few home games a season ever since.
    I'm not saying all is well in the RFU, but it appears to be much more in order than footie...
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    vitesse169 wrote:
    I'm not saying all is well in the RFU, but it appears to be much more in order than footie...

The RFU is a darn site better than it was 15 years ago, it is still an old boys network but relationships between the National Team, the RFU and the Clubs are better than they have been in a long time. The investment that they have made in grass roots level rugby has improved and the improvement in refereeing at a local level is the next thing that needs to be tackled.

TBH you probably wouldnt find a director of the RFU had blown a load of cash on gambling, much more likely to have spent his money on strippers, guiness and lamb Jalfrezi.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

You seem to be tarring a lot of people with a very big brush if you are suggesting all football fans act or behave in a certain way. For every lout, there are hundreds of model fans who behave and act impeccably.

I have lost all confidence in the people who are meant to regulate the game and those who represent many areas in its governance or unions. It has corrupt and become more corrupt the higher you go. Qatar's world cup bid is a case in point. Money was put above the fans. Anyone could see it was a bad decision the second it was announced. A country with inhospitable weather, a less than stellar history in the game and dodgy human rights issues. I am not suggesting it should always go to a traditional country in football terms, but at least one which would make for a pleasant and reasonably easy place to visit for the common man.

Ordinary fans are being priced out in England. All to pay ever more undeserved wages to players that barely deserve them. Instead of a team spending 50 million or more on a player, why not use that money to subsidize ticket prices? Seeing a player on a pitch earning 30 grand week in front of a crowd that is full of empty seats is insulting. Noone seems to be doing anything to deal with this. Sure they may introduce rules for financial fair play but it still does little to protect the fans. It just means they can't go bust buying the same undeserving players.

FIFA and UEFA Could easily sort this out. They could make rules that leveled the playing field and stop the runaway money train but they are too busy lining their own pockets out of it. Corruption has been proven at the very top. Sepp Blatter is an embarrassment with some of his gaffs. i.e his comments on gay fans visiting Qatar. Utter lunacy!

With all this, why should we be surprised when someone like Gordon Taylor is caught up in such a scandal?

Steve, see the light - turn your back on the over paid money orientated premiership and discover the rewal jojs of football once again.

Non league football is where it is at. Local football, cheap admission £6 or less often and players playing for pride not for a wage packet.

For those still addicted to the premiersh*t, come along on 7th September to the friendly face of football on Non League Day. www.nonleagueday.co.uk/
    There are not Premiersh*t or Championship games that day so come along, bring the family and be made to feel welcome and part of the real football family
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

+1 to this. I don't regret turning my back on the premiersh*t

www.nonleagueday.co.uk/ on 7th September is a good startiing point
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • smoggysteve
    spen666 wrote:

Steve, see the light - turn your back on the over paid money orientated premiership and discover the rewal jojs of football once again.

Non league football is where it is at. Local football, cheap admission £6 or less often and players playing for pride not for a wage packet.

For those still addicted to the premiersh*t, come along on 7th September to the friendly face of football on Non League Day. http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/
    There are not Premiersh*t or Championship games that day so come along, bring the family and be made to feel welcome and part of the real football family

I am a Middlesbrough fan so I am not a premier league team supporter. The majority of my gripe is the game at international level. Am I supposed to turn my back on the national team because the game is ran by idiots? Yes the premiership has got too much about money, ironic thing is british teams have fallen behind in europe again regardless of the money. Germany and spain rule the way. I can go see bundesliga games for a fraction of the cost of a premiership ticket. Last season I saw dortmund play schalke for 22 euros. Top of the league match in dortmund. I could watch munich play at home for not much more. Compare that to watching Arsenal play. Champions of europe vs premiership has beens
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/ on 7th September is a good startiing point[/quote]

8)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    A man who has blown £4m and run up £100k of debt through his gambling addiction seems the perfect person to be warning people about the dangers of gambling.

He just needs to be up front about it now. Perhaps an interview with Jeremy Kyle. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • I really dont see why we are talking of the most boring sports on a bike forum Its because of my boredom with Footy that I took up cycling
  • We are talking here like it's ONLY footy that has corrupt/lazy/immoral officials....look at the cycling body..UCI....the management cannot now expect anyone to believe they were unaware of the level of doping etc in the early 90s...I think if truth be known, the non dopers were the minority...and to carry on allowing certain individuals to become VERY VERY rich and "know" there were suspicious test results smacks of the greatest hypocrisy ever in the cycling world, the tired manta of " Most tested athlete, never tested positive" sounds hollow in light of everything we now know, so please don't put it ALL at the door of football...morally bankrupt ? Yes, on their own ? DEFINITELY NO!!!