Cannondale v Trek..and 2014 bikes generally

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Desparate to get a road bike

Been impossible to get an older model in sale in my size, so now waiting for 2014 models

Was planning on Canondale Synapse 7 sora (thinking I will be riding mostly for fitness, perhaps the odd sportive)...but now wonder why I have not considered Trek more closely...I think its because someone in a shop may have advised the Canondale Synapse as more fitting to my needs, but can't remember!

Any thoughts? Is Trek 1 series (say 1.2 being equivalent to Synapse 7) as "comfortable"/of equivalent "geometry type" to Canondale Synapse? Or is the Trek 1 series closer in geometry to a race/performance bike?

Thanks

Comments

• There wont be much difference at that price range. Trek and Cannondale are both good bikes and neither is better than the other. Just be careful on these forums as there are a lot of Cannondale fanboys about that will kill your granny if you say you want another brand over Cannondale. They are good bikes, but by no means the best bikes.

In my opinion Trek make very good bikes, so i would certainly consider them. Just remember to check both bikes out, sit on them and see what they feel like.

Remember, beware the Cannondale fanboys. Just watch how many come out the woodwork now to slag me off and convince you that Cannondale are the best...blah blah...beware the post that starts banging on about race wins and proven geometry..etc etc... :D
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013
    An extra £60 will get you one of these - stand out from the crowd a bit:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Bianchi_Via_Nirone_7.html

EDIT - all sizes aparently in stock for 2013 model for £650 at winstanley.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/57238/Bianchi_C2C_Via_Nirone_Sora_Compact_2013_Bike_Y3B34I55RF?gclid=CPrv6NnesbkCFZPItAodegEAJg
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • markiegrim wrote:
    Desparate to get a road bike

Been impossible to get an older model in sale in my size, so now waiting for 2014 models

Was planning on Canondale Synapse 7 sora (thinking I will be riding mostly for fitness, perhaps the odd sportive)...but now wonder why I have not considered Trek more closely...I think its because someone in a shop may have advised the Canondale Synapse as more fitting to my needs, but can't remember!

Any thoughts? Is Trek 1 series (say 1.2 being equivalent to Synapse 7) as "comfortable"/of equivalent "geometry type" to Canondale Synapse? Or is the Trek 1 series closer in geometry to a race/performance bike?

Thanks

What size are you? Considered a Giant Defy 0? I might have one fs :wink:
  • Dear all

thanks so far. To be clear, my question was not about a quality comparison between Trek and Canondale, but on Geometry comparison between trek 1 and Canondale Synapse. I appreciate quality will be broadly equal at this price range...just wanted to know if riding the Trek would be a more agressive ride than the Synapse...or equivalent

Ta
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    all three bikes mentioned are in the "relaxed" geometry arena.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    all three bikes mentioned are in the "relaxed" geometry arena.

Agree. Having not ridden my Defy for several weeks I noticed today how upright it is compared to the old steel frame race bike I have been riding.
  • That Cinelli you have is really nice. Most bike with Sora kit on will be relaxed they have to be as they are aimed a new riders or riders you are not trying to be racers (nothing wrong with the later).
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • For young, fit individuals - is the "relaxed" geometry.. excessively.. I don't know.. is it necessary? Is it needlessly relaxed?
    Let me put it this way; for a young, fit, flexible individual, would riding four hours on "traditional" geometry be cumbersome?
  • That Cinelli you have is really nice. Most bike with Sora kit on will be relaxed they have to be as they are aimed a new riders or riders you are not trying to be racers (nothing wrong with the later).

Very true. I now appreciate how nice it is. Not been able to track down a 1" quill stem (seems likely I need a Cinelli quill, having tried others which were too big to fit in the the stearer)for it in 100mm. The 130mm I have on there is too big. Any ideas?