Brake Adaptor Confusion

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Recently I bought some new Saint brakes (M820) and in fitting the front today (only tried the front, will look at the rear tomorrow if I have time) to my 2010 Norco Shore 2 fitted with 2013 Boxxers I found that the top mounting bolt of the current adaptor fouls on the caliper, in other words it prevents the caliper from being bolted in all the way.

Before the Saints I was running the original Elixer 5's with no problems and still have the same adaptor on there. The rear brake was changed to a Deore (M596 I believe) with the original adaptor fitted and no problems.

Front is PM to PM.
Rear is IS on frame to PM on caliper.
Rotors are both 203mm IIRC

My question really is do I just need a genuine Shimano adaptor? are they manufacturer specific in terms of bolt head depth or anything like that? if not then how do I get round this?

Never bought an adaptor before so just wanted to check before I spent money on anything.

Have had a quick read of Nicks article (viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=1590919) but am feeling a bit baffled to be honest!

Apologies for the long post, cheers in advance everyone
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope any adapter the right size should work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hmm ok then, cheers.

The original forks were Domains 302's if that helps at all?

Any other ideas?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new boxxers are standard post mount. the domains were the same?

the adaptor will work but it might need adjusting with a file to fit the new caliper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok cheers Nick,

I'll get a picture up later hopefully but it sounds like I will have to file down the adaptor bolt head.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either file what you have, try a different cheap one to the same nominal size or get a Shimano one which will be designed to fit!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ah ok, that's what I meant by manufacturer specific

Sounds like the best option to be honest, otherwise its a case of taking a file to about 5mm of bolt head.

So a shimano one will fit right out of the box yeah?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look at the Shimano techdocs and get the right adaptor for the calliper and yes it will fit out of the box!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • awesome, cheers everyone
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM