Another "first TT" post

markp80
markp80 Posts: 444
edited September 2013 in Amateur race
Well, as per the title, I finally overcame my fears and entered my first TT last night!

Having read a complete mixture of good/bad experiences from people going to clubs for the first time, I was somewhat apprehensive of doing this. However, as it turned out, the fear of the unknown was far worse than the reality, and everyone I met turned out to be very friendly indeed, and I was made to feel most welcome.

The event itself was a 5mile TT, as opposed to the usual 10. I somewhat foolishly presumed that this would make it a bit easier, but I couldn't have been more wrong. I made what is probably the usual beginner's mistake of setting off too fast, and felt like I was going to die after about half a mile. I managed to man up a bit though, and pushed myself as hard as I could for the remaining distance. Fortunately there was a wide grass verge about 100m after the finishing line which was perfect for me to collapse onto while I waited for the world to come back into focus.

Although I don't think I could say it for the few minutes I was actually pedalling, overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm satisfied that by the way I felt at the end that I couldn't have gone any quicker on the night. I don't know what my time was, as for some reason I seem to be missing from the results sheet this morning (I'll try and get that sorted, I definitely had a number!), but from my Garmin I reckon I had about the same time as the guy who came last. TBH, I'm happy with that for my first time. My main concern was that I might make a fool of myself and I don't think I did.

Unfortunately it was the last TT of the season, so I'll have to wait until next year to try again. I now wish I'd felt confident enough to give it a go earlier. Anyway, from this experience, I fully intend to join the club and enter as many as I can next year. Who knows, I might even be really brave, and have a go at riding in a group instead of spending all my time on my own!

So if anyone who reads this has been thinking about having a go themselves - go and do it! I'm an old knacker, and if I can have a go, anyone can!

Cheers,
MarkP
Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Well done for giving it a go. I've done 4 myself in the last couple of months and will be putting alot of my focus to that over winter (on the turbo) and then starting the season next year. I've been doing 10 mile TTs with a number of my club mates. Great to get advice from people more experience than myself. If you get chance to do anymore this year then go for it. Also, join a club ASAP, it really is a great buzz.
  • The people are always friendly at time trials. They are great as you can have total novices, crazy fast guys- even the occasional pro and old timers all racing together. The only person likely to be critical of your performance is you!

Opens are even better than club events as there is always cake and tea.

You will see your times tumble next year as you learn and get stronger , enjoy it TTs are ace :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    You would only make a fool of yourself by getting lost and managing to return to HQ only just as everybody else is leaving
    left the forum March 2023
  • upton
    upton Posts: 40
    Great write up.
    Definitely see if you can join a group ride- I certainly find them much more enjoyable than lone riding!
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    First of all, apologies for not replying sooner, just got back from my hols.

Anyway, thanks for all the positive feedback folks, that's much appreciated. All advice and comments have been taken on board!

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • Enjoyed my 1st TT too the other night. Maybe enjoyed is not quite accurate as it hurt, a lot, at the time. I finished nearly last, even with a touch of "cheating", had a slightly closer encounter with a tractor than I would have liked and felt completely out of my comfort zone. Will I be back for more? Certainly plan to be. Will it hurt anymore next time? Well if I wish to go faster, then I certainly hope so!