B'twin Triban 5 (first ever road bike)

Brown sauce
Brown sauce Posts: 111
edited September 2013 in Your road bikes
So after trying to turn an old kona fixie into a road bike I decided to buy a proper road bike. Thought this bike seemed to be a good place to start. Went out for 16 mile ride today for the first ride while adjusting saddle and handlebar positions on my way. Feels really good. Still learning when to use specific handle positions but definitely enjoyed riding the bike and looking forward to getting out for some longer rides.

image-10.jpg
2015 Stanton Switchback
1993 Kona Lavadome

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Looks nice.
    You will be told off about it being on the small ring though etc. :)
  • Looks good.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Mate has one of those ... Great value .. Very nice bike.

Enjoy :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    That's not half bad looking 8)

As for handlebar positions you'll find that you ride on the hoods maybe 90% of the time and on the tops when really crawling up the last bit of a climb, personally I don't ride in the drops a great deal but others will, just use all the different positions a bit to keep the hands moving and stop getting numb etc.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Thanks for the comments. Made a few adjustments and got much more use to the handlebars now I have adjusted them.
    image-11.jpg
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Really handsome frame that.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    arran77 wrote:

As for handlebar positions you'll find that you ride on the hoods maybe 90% of the time and on the tops when really crawling up the last bit of a climb, personally I don't ride in the drops a great deal but others will, just use all the different positions a bit to keep the hands moving and stop getting numb etc.

So will he be on the hoods 90% of the time or not?! Make your mind up! :wink: Me - I ride the hoods vastly less than 90% (probably roughly evenly between hoods, tops and drops). OPs bike looks nicely setup for all positions though and certainly looks more upmarket than it ought to for the cost!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    arran77 wrote:

I spend most of my time on the hoods as well. Only really change for more power or more comfort.
  • Thanks for the comments on the bike. Really happy with it. As I'm new to road ridding its been a great starter bike. I have found that I use all positions depending on climbing,down hill or steady pace.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • I have the old flat bar model (forme5) but fitted drops shortly after getting it. I love mine, their such fantastic value for money and a great introduction into road cycling.

Hope you get many happy miles done