Play in rear wheel

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have a boardman team FS and noticed this evening that there's some play in the rear wheel. A couple of weeks ago I changed the hanger. The one the gave me wasn;t exactly the same as the old one but seemed to fit okay so I don't think it's that.

I took the wheel out and there seems to be a cone-shaped thing on the hub (disc side) which had a fair bit of play - side-to-side play and in and out if that makes sense - could it be that?

Bike seems to ride okayish - seems to slip the occasional gear but rarely.

Any help would be appreciated. Apologies for the non-technical terminology but I'm learning it as I encounter problem by problem lol.

des

Comments

• Tighten it up. Read Park Tools website for info
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Parktools in Read this first below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • As above but your looking for cup and cone adjustment.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... adjustment

My team fs did the same a few months ago but was convinced the bike had sealed bearings but it didn't.

You'll probably need to whack some grease in whilst your in there but check its not full of really dirty grease. I picked the bearings out and cleaned it all out and then packed it full of grease. Good as gold since
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Thanks for that - it's a hefty read. I'm not sure how far to go - do I need to be removing bearings? Basically, I want to just keep it as simple as possible.
  • No. Just undo the lock nut. Tighten the cone until it spins freely but with no play. Then tighten the locknut.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No. Just undo the lock nut. Tighten the cone until it spins freely but with no play. Then tighten the locknut.
    Or actually read the link and learn. You'll need cone spanners or you'll struggle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cooldad is right. I did my first wheel a couple of years ago and now don't even hesitate to take it to prices and clean angle regrease. I would never just nip it up without checking if its full of grease. A bit of work now is way cheaper than a new wheel or a new hub.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • cheers guys. Look me a bit longer than I expected but I strpped her down to the bearings, cleaned it out (even threads of grass in there...), greased her up plenty and refitted. Not sure if I followed the instructions precisely, but got everything back together and the play has vanished and wheel spins freely so hopefully job done...

Another issue with the bike is a piston that I can't fully retracted back but the brakes are 100% at the minute so I'm going to leave it for now.

Cheers for the advice guys.