lockout issues

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently bought a pair of the 2013 rockshox revelation rlt forks, and considering the nature of the forks, I didnt bother fitting the remote lockout lever as I just wanted to get out on the bike and chuck it around- no need for lockout.

However, now that I've fitted the lockout, I'm pretty sure that up untill now I've been riding it in the "lockout" posistion (its now alot easier to compress forks with the lockout lever open). Now, they have obviously been blowing through a lot of their travel, will this have damaged the forks? I assume/hope there is sometype of function in the fork to allow for this mistake.

Also, I dont know whether it is my doing or not, but the when it is "locked out", it's hardly locket out, it compressess about and inch and then gets very hard to compress, but still possible if you push hard enough.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds quite normal.

the default is unlocked you have not damaged them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok, I was fairly certain my default was "locked out" though - if I take the remote cable out, the lockout cap will spring counter clockwise back to its original posistion - locked out?
  • Just to clarify, my default was locked out. Unless somehow the pinch bolt having the cable running through somehow affects it
  • Pretty sure the newer rockshox lockout works as you say locked out without the lock fitted (my mates Reba's do), The older ones like mine are the other way round should not have damaged anything though they still work a bit when locked out i usually forget to unlock mine and realise at the bottom of a descent still work though :)
  • Yeah I dont know why that's the case - To be honest I only put the remote on for a long ride im doing with work in a month, I dont want it on there all the time, I'll hardly use it. Annoying now that it seems I have no choice but to keep it on.
  • nicklouse
    2013 revs RLT and RL are still pull cable to lock. so without a pushloc or poplock the natural position is open.

post a pic of your top cap.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ok, Im sorry about the quality of the pics, but right now I've only got my phone which has a cracked camera. I hope you can get what you need from them...

The first is locked out, the second is "unlocked" with the cable pulling the top cap clockwise.
    03092013554_zps00bd12f9.jpg

03092013555_zps63233261.jpg
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nicklouse wrote:
    post an in focus pic of your top cap.
    :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    bails87 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    post an in focus pic of your top cap.
    :wink:
    Even squinting I can not see anything other than a blue blob.

Nice in focus floor. Move the camera away from the cap.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That looks correct. Turn the blue cap clockwise to lock.
    The RLTs have an adjustable floodgate (the gold 'star') that adjusts the threshold for blow through when the fork is locked. Turn it to one extreme and locked will really be locked. Turn it the other way and lockout will have less effect.
    It sounds as if you have been riding with the floodgate closer to the open end of its rotation.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    That looks correct. Turn the blue cap clockwise to lock.

But mine turns clockwise to unlock? Well, it gets pulled by the cable clockwise to unlock.

I tried everything else you said about the adjustable floodgate and it all seems to work well. Although It was set closer to the closed end of its rotation, I turned the gold star to the open end of its rotation and the lockout was much less.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Most lockout levers and forks lock the fork when the cable is pulled tight and unlock the fork when the cable as gone slack, not the other way round. Which, in the pics you posted means locked looks like it's when the cap has been rotated clockwise.
  • Yes I agree that is the way most forks probally do work, and logic dictates it's the way they should work. Mine however, doesn't.

Like I said untill I get a new camera I can't take decent pics. There is an arrow pointing to a locked out symbol (closed padlock) on the left hand side of the cap. You can just about make it out. Anyway, this arrow and locked out symbol support the idea my lockout works opposite to others
  • The default position without the cable attached is locked out - BUT the valve has a mechanism to change what impact will open it out. I'd be surprised if you damaged it.

I also bought some and didn't like the lock out lever, so I pushed the naked cable through the fork switch and twisted it in to 'open' before tightening the grub screw, then cut off the cable ... so it's held open without the need for the lockout lever.
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)