Casstelli Gabba jersey

mentalalex
mentalalex Posts: 266
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Keep looking at them and hearing great things about them.

but there not cheap? anyone seen them at a decent price?

anyone got one/used one?

Cheers A
I do science, sometimes.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ribble has them on sale right now.

I have one. Love it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mentalalex
    Sweet! how thick are they and what are like fitting wise! i'm small! 5ft7 58kg and small is there smallest option!
    I do science, sometimes.
  • mentalalex
    just checked there is no small! darn.
    I do science, sometimes.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Castel ... y-AW13/V8V
    Buy right buy once!
    I think this Jersey is suitable for people how work hard on their bike in cold/wet conditions
  • I've got one. It is nice.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    You should size up with Castelli gear so a medium will fit fine.

I've got 2, short and long sleeve. Can't really praise them enough.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • Such a versatile bit of kit.

However, I have the small and it could still do with being a bit tighter! On descents it feels like I have small wings.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Lovely jersey - get the nanoflex armwarmers too and you're good for a lot of conditions.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Just grabbed a flouro L/S in the Ribble sale yesterday as I've wanted one for ages. Really hoping its as good as everyone says and the rest of my Castelli stuff. hope the sizing is the same as I'm XL in all their kit so ordered the same. Wil find out tomorrow :D
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have been an Assos aficionado for a long time now but was always looking for a short sleeved shirt that would cope with the cold mornings/warm afternoons and showers/wind that a whole days ride in Blightly can throw at you. I saw an advert in Cyclist for the Gabba and immediately purchased it and the nanoflex arm warmers despite the hefty price tag.

I can only say that I am really impressed with this jersey and its so versatile and well made that its worth the full price I paid.

Looks good too! :wink:
    Brian B.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I have both the SS with armwarmers and the LS.

That covers about 90% of autumn, winter and spring.

I have a Gore waterproof for the really wet COMMUTES, but for riding in rain the Gabba is all you'd ever need.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    TheHound wrote:
    You should size up with Castelli gear so a medium will fit fine.

I've got 2, short and long sleeve. Can't really praise them enough.

No way will a medium fit him! I'm 10kg heavier than the OP and a couple of inches taller and a small is just right for me.

I think the sizing up on most cycling clothing is largely a myth these days as clothing has gradually got bigger.
    More problems but still living....
  • i have just got a gabba convertible, jersey with zipp on longsleves, not used it yet thought as it was still been short sleeve jersey weather
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Bought the convertible version last winter - zip-off sleeves gives it 4 season versatility, but it's not really warm enough for long rides in deep winter IME. For whatever reason, Saddleback don't bring in the full range of products and sizes and then sticks a 20% mark-up on the prices.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    looking for a nice jersey and this is tempting. short sleeve then add a baselayer in winter?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Always a base layer beneath it. It's tight so you can't really layer up beneath.
    It's not really a full winter jacket - more a wet spring/ autumn top.

In full winter I'd have a full jacket and layers.
  • mentalalex
    I would very doubt the medium would fit in a sense it would be to big! as I normally ride XS/Small kit! I'm my no means tall!

I would hope the small would actually be small enough!
    I do science, sometimes.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    got mine today from Ribble. Arms and body length are perfect for me, but just wondering if the body could be slightly more fitted. It just has a few slight bunching bits on me even with a decent baselayer. Wondering if a L might be a more snug fit but dont want to lose arm or body length? All m other jackets and jerseys from Castelli are XL whereas I'm a M in most other manufacturers at a standard 6' body shape.

....oh yes, and bloody hell the flouro yellow is proper bright yellow! Given this is for grim conditions I really didnt want black but it is seriously hi-viz. Hoped it might be slightly more of the acid green/yellow of some of there other stuff.

Edit - Ribble have zero stock so looks like its XL or nothing! Sure it will be fine and will also allow a little layering underneath for winter.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Sigma Sport have all sizes in stock
  • found it for £138 but they either don't have small or are not in stock!

Sucks! as i can't find it else where for the price for the long sleeve version
    I do science, sometimes.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Have you seen the Cervo Rosso Ibrido?

http://cervorosso.com/index.php?section ... oductId=64

It's available in red or black and if you use dicount code AP201312 at the check out you'll get 15% discount which brings the price down to just over £121.00.

I bought one last year as I kind of liked the idea of a half jersey/half jacket despite being not totally convinced of when I'd actually use it. I ended up using it on almost every ride in spring and it rapidly became one of my favourite pieces of kit.
  • ive got one, brillient piece of kit, really works well with the nano arm warmers!!

short sleeve is the way to go for sure, one bit of advice though, the washing instructions are very confusing given castelli say wash in nikwax nano wash, yet their own washing instructions say to wash normal non bio wash.(nikwax tends to make clothes thicker and less soft i found)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    schweiz wrote:
    Have you seen the Cervo Rosso Ibrido?

http://cervorosso.com/index.php?section ... oductId=64

It's available in red or black and if you use dicount code AP201312 at the check out you'll get 15% discount which brings the price down to just over £121.00.

I bought one last year as I kind of liked the idea of a half jersey/half jacket despite being not totally convinced of when I'd actually use it. I ended up using it on almost every ride in spring and it rapidly became one of my favourite pieces of kit.

Hi Andy, I was looking out for people wearing Cervo Rosso gear in the Alpen Brevet yesterday as it was meant to be popular with discerning Swiss, but the only person I saw with CR gear was a fat guy on a hybrid. That wasn't you was it? :)
  • schweiz
    No, it wasn't me.

There were three more of us riding though. Two of us did the gold (me and Carlyle, the CEO) and one guy did the Platinum.

Don't be too hard on the 'fat guy on the hybrid'. He's a guy from Zürich who three years ago was riddled with cancer with multiple metastsis. The fact he was riding at all yesterday (he did the silver tour) is a near miracle.

The Cervo Rosso VW Camper was there (close to the red foot bridge in the main car park by the ski lift station) and we made some new friends from the Black Forest who provided the beer!

Cervo Rosso is more popular in the Valais but when all is said and done, the Swiss love their Assos! Give it time though!

Which tour did you do and how did you get on? I seemed to struggle on the last 2-300 m of the Nufenen and was cramping like crazy on the second half of the Susten. My time was slower than I'd hoped but not too shabby all in all (8:42 with the neutralised desent from Andermatt to Wassen, 9:11 overall, was hoping for 30-40 mins faster)
  • robbo2011
    I have the fullest respect for anyone who gives it a go, it's hard enough when you are at a normal cyclists weight, let alone when carrying a few extra pounds. During the Maratona in Italy, I saw a guy finishing who was knocking on the door of 20 stone, I wanted to go over and shake his hand because that was a monumental effort!

The oddest thing I saw yesterday was at the Andermatt food stop where I saw someone loading what can only be described as a shopping bike onto the broom wagon. The fact that she'd made it over the Grimsel and Furka (I assume she was doing the Silver) was bloody amazing in itself. Sadly, there were also a few bikes on the trailer that had been crashed. shame for those people whose day was ruined by an accident.

This was my first Brevet and I did the Gold tour. I managed it without any major issues, but that was because I was ultra conservative and climbed at a very steady pace. I also spent about 2 hours in total at the food stops according to my Garmin. Therefore I was a very slow 10:40. But I wasn't worried about the time, I just wanted to make sure I got round. The Nufenen is a tough climb isn't it? I didn't much care for the cobbles on the Tremola road either!

I think I blended in well yesterday as I was in full Assos gear. The only thing that ruined it was the DHB shell from Wiggle! Next year...
  • schweiz
    Good effort Robbo!

Thankfully I didn't see any crashes or injuries so hopefully they were few and far between. I've done the Nufenen from both sides before and I reckon the ramp from Airolo is harder but it's not an easy climb from either side, that's for sure. My problem was more psychological...for some reason I had 23xx m in my head rather than the 2,478 that it is so the last 250 or so just seemed to take it out of me. The Tremola-Gotthard road made sure that the contents of my stomach were well and truly churned up and it's the first time I've ridden all the way up on the cobbles, as previously I've opted for the tarmac after the initial climb out of Airolo. I hate the Susten as the road is just laid out bare in front of you all the way. There's no escaping from the fact you're going to be climbing for a long time.

We'll have to get organised one of these days and go for a ride!
  • robbo2011
    So we hate the Nufenen, the Tremola Gotthard road and the Susten. So, same time next year then:)

I'd definitely be up for a ride sometime. Have you done much riding in the Jura?
  • schweiz
    robbo2011 wrote:
    So we hate the Nufenen, the Tremola Gotthard road and the Susten. So, same time next year then:)

It's a date! :lol:
    robbo2011 wrote:
    I'd definitely be up for a ride sometime. Have you done much riding in the Jura?

The club I'm in did a tour from Geneva to Olten over four days last year, but that's about it in terms of riding in the Jura. It's completely different from cycling round here. I thought it was a bit like the peak district but without the potholes, better coffee and a certain je ne sais quois!

http://www.strava.com/activities/10512024
    http://www.strava.com/activities/10511941
    http://www.strava.com/activities/10511939
    http://www.strava.com/activities/10511919
  • robbo2011
    The Northern part of the Jura is my neck of the woods, very different to the mountains but still challenging. In some ways I prefer it as you can easily find peace and quiet without cars and motorbikes which is much harder to do in the mountains (at least where I've been, but I am sure you know some decent routes).

You've never tackled the Weissenstein or the Balmberg passes then? You're missing out on all of the fun (if you can call it that!)
  • schweiz
    I've been 'booked' by the wife for the next two weekends so if we organise something it would have to be late September but as long as the sun in shining I'd love to explore some more parts of the Jura and I'll repay you with a tour of some quieter passes in the Voralpen next year! Let me know!