From Roubaix to Venge?

plymouthsteve
plymouthsteve Posts: 136
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Had 2 Roubaix's and loved them both.. They just fit.
A couple of mates have changed from Roubaix's lately. The first bought a Tarmac and is indifferent. Stiffer, faster and overall a bit less comfortable. The other bought a Venge; granted in S-works guise and thinks it's as comfortable as his Roubaix, plus alot faster and climbs better.
I'm thinking Venge and my LBS has a great custom build deal on, but I'm worried about losing the comfort and all day usability of the Roubaix on the say-so of just one person.
Anyone else made the change?
Thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    A buddy of mine who has a Tarmac rode my Foil last weekend. His Tarmac is now for sale.

FWIW I audax (600k+) on a Foil and have no issues with comfort despite all the publications saying it's one of the most brutal frames on the market. If the fit is good then you'll be fine.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    The 2014 Roubaix is supposed to be more aggressive than in the past though not as much as the Tarmac. Also uses SL4 geometry across all models. Not tried it yet but as a Roubaix owner am also tempted.

Venge supposed to be very harsh in comparison on a long distance. If you're not racing maybe to much
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Grill wrote:
    A buddy of mine who has a Tarmac rode my Foil last weekend. His Tarmac is now for sale.

FWIW I audax (600k+) on a Foil and have no issues with comfort despite all the publications saying it's one of the most brutal frames on the market. If the fit is good then you'll be fine.

Errr, Venge maybe....?
  • Grill
    ct8282 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Errr, Venge maybe....?

Really? You sure?

The Venge and Foil are very similar in terms of stiffness and performance, so my point was that if the OP wants a Venge then he should get one using my experience of the Foil as the qualifier.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Grill wrote:
    ct8282 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Errr, Venge maybe....?

Really? You sure?

The Venge and Foil are very similar in terms of stiffness and performance, so my point was that if the OP wants a Venge then he should get one using my experience of the Foil as the qualifier.

Yup, just checked the title of his thread again. I'm sure. :D
  • Unless you're spending large portions of your ride above 35 - 40km/h*, the Venge is not going to be giving you any great benefit, so may as well stick with the comfort / versatility of a Roubaix or SL4.

I wouldn't mind owning a Venge fully kitted out for aero speed, but as I can only have one bike, it has to be the SL4, as mountain trips/climbing is my favourite thing....

*quite possible if you're racing
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited September 2013
    Had 2 Roubaix's and loved them both.. They just fit.
    A couple of mates have changed from Roubaix's lately. The first bought a Tarmac and is indifferent. Stiffer, faster and overall a bit less comfortable. The other bought a Venge; granted in S-works guise and thinks it's as comfortable as his Roubaix, plus alot faster and climbs better.
    I'm thinking Venge and my LBS has a great custom build deal on, but I'm worried about losing the comfort and all day usability of the Roubaix on the say-so of just one person.
    Anyone else made the change?
    Thanks

Assuming similar weight, identical riding position and tyre setup, I fail to see what would make Tarmac or Venge ride or climb noticeably faster, if at all (actual not perceived speeds).

Every frame/bike coming from a major manufacturer is stiff enough for an average non-competing guy producing 150-350W on a typical ride, so stiffer, "more efficient" racing orientated bikes aren't going to make anyone faster (actual, not perceived speeds). On most of UK roads, comfort (shock absorption) is much more important and translates to higher speeds.

I realize that certain bikes feel faster than others for one reason or another but I wonder if anyone has actually carried out any back to back tests of the above or similar bikes.
    By tests I mean repeated runs by someone unbiased (who's not trying to justify splashing a few grand on a shiny toy or is a typical marketing brainwashed sheep) on several test routes (e.g. at TT efforts) on both bikes in very similar conditions with the same tyres, position...
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I think it depends how flexible your back is. I love my Roubaix but have always wondered what a Tarmac / Venge would be like. But I know that if I spend too much time in the drops I get a sore back after a while, so I suspect the Roubaix is best for me.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    I think it depends how flexible your back is. I love my Roubaix but have always wondered what a Tarmac / Venge would be like. But I know that if I spend too much time in the drops I get a sore back after a while, so I suspect the Roubaix is best for me.

I just bought a Tarmac 6 weeks ago and 760 miles on and my back is in ruins :(

Forcing myself to take a week or more off the bike with only light trainer spins (sat upright!) now. I'm hoping things start improving. I've also bought a foam roller to try and iron out any niggles in my muscles.

I came from an Allez to the Tarmac and instantly I was faster everywhere. I was smashing PBs all over the place. I ride 90% on the drops and I think that's what's done my back in. :(
  • Grill
    bushpixy wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

I just bought a Tarmac 6 weeks ago and 760 miles on and my back is in ruins :(

Forcing myself to take a week or more off the bike with only light trainer spins (sat upright!) now. I'm hoping things start improving. I've also bought a foam roller to try and iron out any niggles in my muscles.

I came from an Allez to the Tarmac and instantly I was faster everywhere. I was smashing PBs all over the place. I ride 90% on the drops and I think that's what's done my back in. :(

You reckon?
  • drops feel better to ride on to the hoods personally
  • To the OP,you really need to go to your LBS and try the Venge out,It's the only sure fire way of getting piece of mind.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    bushpixy wrote:
    Not sure which Allez you had or which Tarmac you have now - but I bought a Tarmac because it was the same geometry as the Allez and I found the Allez comfortable - the Tarmac is slightly more comfortable because it has a better saddle on....
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Slowbike wrote:
    bushpixy wrote:
    Not sure which Allez you had or which Tarmac you have now - but I bought a Tarmac because it was the same geometry as the Allez and I found the Allez comfortable - the Tarmac is slightly more comfortable because it has a better saddle on....

I did the other half - I went from Tarmac to Venge. I felt the Venge was quicker for my riding style/geography (big lad in London/Hertfordshire) and it was more comfortable than Tarmac. Everyone mentions harsher vibrations at front but I put gel's under the tape as precaution and found it to be perfectly comfortable for 100 milers.