Single Speed winter trainer

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
After my previous threads about which SS/Fixie I think I may have settled on the on-one Pompino. Before I pull the trigger though I wanted to hear some thoughts or reviews from you guys. From what I can see online its a well regarded do it all single speed that should take the dregs of winter without a problem, so what do you Pompino riders have to say?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBO ... urban_bike

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I may have commented on your previous thread and helped suggest the Pompino.

It's a good frame, especially for the money.

It isn't the lightest, but it handles well, masses of clearance for big tyres and guards. Rack mount for commuting.

The brakes that originally came on mine (a Planet X copy of froglegs) were fairly poor, but to be fair, are the only thing I have replaced.

If you are on a small frame, watch the toe overlap - it is a little bit of an issue on my medium, but I know people who just couldn't get on with the small frame.

Good solid bike though. Mine gets me around year round with very little love and attention.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I love mine, only original things are the headset spacers and the seat clamp:

current iteration is pretty much currently:

il-pompino-8533_1.jpg

Except with a KMC 710SL chain (the izumi rusted over the winter), the avid ultimate v-brakes (ditto to the avid single digits) and I fitted the Pro cav sprint bars and a matching stem (for stiffness over the 25.4 setup)

Love the ride, the clearances aren't great for the cranks on mine (had to tap the chainstay in a fraction because the omniums would catch under hard load) If i'm honest it probably rode better with the original steel forks over the longer carbons, but the carbons give a better ride and let me run stiffer bars.
  • Hi CT,
    Well the photo made it but my text disappeared into the ether. I have run my Pompino ragged in the 7 years I have had her, loading her up with racks and panniers for touring the Scottish Borders and using her all year round as a general hack.
    She is currently at work, where I take her out for my Lunchtime Workouts, a 25 mile undulating circuit. www.strava.com/athletes/1401933 She is almost in original condition, I change the chain every year, she is currently wearing Conti Gatorskin 28mm tyres for comfort, I have fitted some tri-bars just for my lunch time workouts, it gets quite windy in Cumbria. Today I put the mudguards back on, it is September in the morning.
    I toyed with the idea of fitting a freehub when I first bought her, but I quickly became used to the fixed gear and now I don't even think about it. It does make going downhill interesting, my knees are ok until about 32 mph when I start to reach for the brakes, which are original in every way, even the blocks!
    I would recommend the bike to anyone looking for something a little different (even though I understand there are loads out there) She is perfect for all year round riding and always brings a smile to my face.

Good luck.
    Steve
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Hi CT,
    Well the photo made it but my text disappeared into the ether. I have run my Pompino ragged in the 7 years I have had her, loading her up with racks and panniers for touring the Scottish Borders and using her all year round as a general hack.
    She is currently at work, where I take her out for my Lunchtime Workouts, a 25 mile undulating circuit. http://www.strava.com/athletes/1401933 She is almost in original condition, I change the chain every year, she is currently wearing Conti Gatorskin 28mm tyres for comfort, I have fitted some tri-bars just for my lunch time workouts, it gets quite windy in Cumbria. Today I put the mudguards back on, it is September in the morning.
    I toyed with the idea of fitting a freehub when I first bought her, but I quickly became used to the fixed gear and now I don't even think about it. It does make going downhill interesting, my knees are ok until about 32 mph when I start to reach for the brakes, which are original in every way, even the blocks!
    I would recommend the bike to anyone looking for something a little different (even though I understand there are loads out there) She is perfect for all year round riding and always brings a smile to my face.

Good luck.
    Steve

Thanks Steve. A great review. I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this one now. But I'll go for the white frame as I don't think there are as many out there.

What about sizing? I'm just under 5ft 9 so was probably going to go for the medium frame which they show as being good for up to 5ft 10. What do you think about the geometry?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Pompino is pretty heavy and has a 'dead' feel IME - if you can, go for a frame made from lighter, double butted tubes like All City Big Block or Nature Boy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    There's also the Dolan FXE
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Pompino is pretty heavy and has a 'dead' feel IME - if you can, go for a frame made from lighter, double butted tubes like All City Big Block or Nature Boy.

The pompino is double butted, I'd disagree with the dead feel, it's not as springy as some steel frames due to the rear stay arrangement, but it certainly doesn't feel dead.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been riding steel-frame bikes for over 30 years and know what 'dead and heavy' feels like - I sold mine after 6 months as I didn't enjoy riding it. The only redeeming feature is they're cheap, but if you want a typical steel frame ride with a bit of feedback, go elsewhere.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi CT,
    Loads of other good advice coming out here. I don't have as much experience as the other contributors, so a bit like the one girl man, she's the best, cos I've tried nowt else!
    I'm 5'10", I went for the large, I seem to remember when I first got her that she felt like a stretch, but strangely, she just feels right now.
    I think one of the main attractions when I bought it was the price. But Of all the bikes I've had, she is the one that never fails to make me smile. There could be better ones out there, but I won't get rid of her until she falls apart.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Steve
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Monty, out of interest what would you recommend? I posted another topic around building up a Pompetamine (the Pompino disc version); but still considering options. Thanks
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • How about a Roadrat? Had an original one 5 years now and it's still a joy to ride. The new one is somewhat changed but still a good option for a fast single speed commuter/trainer.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm still debating selling my CAAD CX9 and getting a Singular Peregrine for winter single speed duties.

It's disc ready (eccentric bottom bracket takes care of chain tension) takes full guards and will take huge tyres for when it snows, as well has having a mech hanger should you want to use it as a tourer or similar.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX