What to buy...newbie £500 ish

blue123
blue123 Posts: 24
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have recently given up running..knees!

To cut a long story short I am going to try MTB and am looking for my first bike, have about 500 to spend and want to do mainly xc/trail rides.

Obv I will have to buy an old model...can anyone help with my list of choices so far??

http://www.cyclesuk.com/47461/products/ ... -bike.aspx

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p347 ... LON-3-2011

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p369 ... -SL-4-2011

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p5 ... 9ER-5-2013

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or look at the sticky up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But the forks on most you are looking at are pretty rubbish. And in random sizes - what size are you looking for?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • blue123
    blue123 Posts: 24
    Hi,

Thanks.....I am looking for a medium 17-18"

Hope you guys can help me find something..
  • cooldad
    Have you read the sticky at the top of the section?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The voodoo hoodoo gets great reviews on here,they reckon its the best bike for £500
  • The voodoo hoodoo gets great reviews on here,they reckon its the best bike for £500
    100% Agree
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But not as good as the RR 8.1 from Decathlon for £550.......which is better value for money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    The Rookie wrote:
    But not as good as the RR 8.1 from Decathlon for £550.......which is better value for money.

Also my current new steed.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You need to test ride some bikes as frame sizes / setups vary between the different brands. When you find a couple you like check the specs and reviews for them to help you choose the best value bike. Most bikes are similar at given price level and there are few very bad or very good bikes. Also make sure you like the look of the bike as you will ride it more often :wink:
  • The Rock rider 8.1 is indeed a good piece of kit but for some reason bike radar gave more stars to the Hoodoo
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Kajjal wrote:
    Most bikes are similar at given price level and there are few very bad or very good bikes.

That is not correct, especially at the £500 price point.
  • cooldad
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    Most bikes are similar at given price level and there are few very bad or very good bikes.

That is not correct, especially at the £500 price point.
    You are too kind. Stronger terms come to mind.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rock rider 8.1 is indeed a good piece of kit but for some reason bike radar gave more stars to the Hoodoo
    maybe its something to do with the crap customer service !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Hoodoo has been downgraded since that review, losing the air forks for example.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Is the RR better than any older models on sale then for same price?
  • Looking around and having a similar budget to yours, I didn't find anything better spec wise than the 8.1 for the money, and that includes older bikes with significant discounts.

I've been considering the RR and went to Decathlon to size one up last week. I would have bought it, had I not found a second hand Cube Acid for a great price on eBay.
  • Hi,

I have looked at the RR, not sure.....been into Halfords today and as much as I hate the place I looked at the Voodoo Azian and Bizango?? They looked awesome...again I dont know a lot about bikes yet but as a beginner how are these bikes??

even though the bizango slightly over budget is it any good compared to similar priced bikes?
  • -BA-
    -BA- Posts: 6
    You may really struggle to find one now but I picked up the Voodoo Wanga for £500 last week. The last few we're going like hotcakes but might be worth getting them to check on the system.
  • Have anyone seen a Voodo Bizango in a real Halford store recently?
    If so where? I'd love to get one and they don't even appear on the website...
  • I went into the store in Stratford on Avon, they had the Aizan and the guy spoke to head office re the Bizango, they said they were available but out of stock so they took my details and will get in touch........who knows??
  • Guys, whilst on the subject of MTBs at Halfords, are any of the Whistle bikes worth a look, going up in £ as far as the Miwok 1381D at £519.99? The VooDoo HooDoo is £449.99, but did someone say the spec has changed - the forks?
    Tavish
    Noob
    It's my first MTB
    ROCKRIDER 8.1
  • There are some bargains out there if you look,I got a brand new in the box voodoo bokor for £375