not feeling the urge to wear lycra!

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Brought myself a road bike last week and spent the last week doing a few gentle rides. Now I am getting used to how its quicker over my mountain bike I am starting to look at changing my wardrobe to have less mountain bike gear, but the appeal of lycra shorts/bibs and a tight jersey aren't really appealing to me to be worn. I prefer my clothes a bit more baggy.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Once you're comfortable with your sexuallity you'll be alright. :wink:

Then you can start shaving ya legs. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    a) No one is looking at you.
    b) No one is looking at you, chubby.
    c) The first time you do 20 odd miles into a headwind, you will rethink your objections.
  • Just get something low key, plain black or something, unbranded, maybe look at decathlon
  • Wind and not the smelly variety will set you right! Having said that, there are no rules, just ride and enjoy.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Wind and not the smelly variety will set you right! Having said that, there are no rules, just ride and enjoy.

WRONG!! There are rules that MUST be adhered to damn it. Rule #18 if you please....

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    It's very common to have an aversion to begin with, but once you experience the benifits, you don't go back.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Most cycling jerseys aren't tight (pro) fit anyway.

Today I cycled to the pub just wearing trousers and a t-shirt as I didn't want to change when I got there. However on the way back I was in my usual cycling (not bib) shorts and jersey. Far more comfortable and I felt I could ride the bike properly, the t-shirt wasn't uncomfortable just I was always aware it was there.
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Think I will just have to take the plunge and buy some bib shorts and jersey then. All the stuff I have looked at so far has been fairly low key gear nothing that screams look at me, but as for leg shaving that's ages away!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    It is better. Still takes a bit to pluck up the courage to wear it in public for the first time :lol: For what it's worth, I prefer the plainer gear too, not into pro kits or stuff like that.

I'm not shaving my legs though... no.

Absolutely not.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Mikey41 wrote:
    It is better. Still takes a bit to pluck up the courage to wear it in public for the first time :lol: For what it's worth, I prefer the plainer gear too, not into pro kits or stuff like that.

I'm not shaving my legs though... no.

Absolutely not.

You'll change your position on shaving your legs after a serious off...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Cleaning up road rash on my elbow was a pain (literally) so you've got a point there.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • iamcami
    iamcami Posts: 93
    I dont wear any cycling clothes... whether im off road or on road. joggies/shorts and t-shirt/jacket all the way
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    I'm shocked and appalled!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Most cycling jerseys aren't tight (pro) fit anyway. .

they are when you [1] get the sizing wrong :lol: I then like to think of them as aspirational wear.

[1] thats the royal "you" obviously, if the kit makers could actually settle on using the same sizes as each other once in a while, life would be so much easier
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Once you realise the comfort factor of Lycra you won't go back. Just try it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Depends on the cycling. For more serious stuff bib shorts and cycling top, for low key social stuff MTb shorts are a little more acceptable. Get those legs shaved, waxing for me for a couple of years now
  • iamcami wrote:
    I dont wear any cycling clothes... whether im off road or on road. joggies/shorts and t-shirt/jacket all the way

When you go further than the corner shop you'll wish you had :D
  • :P what's the advantage? less sweat? im a man, sweat doesn't bother me... more streamlined? well im just geting a better workout with the wind against me. soon they'll be selling cycling tooth paste, cycling deodorant, cycling water and you'll all buy it right up
  • iamcami wrote:
    :P what's the advantage? less sweat? im a man, sweat doesn't bother me... more streamlined? well im just geting a better workout with the wind against me. soon they'll be selling cycling tooth paste, cycling deodorant, cycling water and you'll all buy it right up

Dont mess around here....were can we get the cycling tooth paste?? :P
  • I really wasn't looking forward to wearing lycra the first time I went out for a "proper ride" but it was totally worth it. I'm not too keen on a tight top seeing as the nights in the local has given me a bit of a round belly but I have found that buying a slightly bigger cycling top is fine, As long as I have pockets for my phone and cake money, I don't care. Just remember that drivers are going too fast to care and other cyclists are wearing the same as you! :D
  • iamcami wrote:
    :P what's the advantage? less sweat? im a man, sweat doesn't bother me... more streamlined? well im just geting a better workout with the wind against me. soon they'll be selling cycling tooth paste, cycling deodorant, cycling water and you'll all buy it right up

blame wiggle
  • I bought my road first bike in September last year. I too was apprehensive about the Lycra, especially after ribbing my brother for wearing it. I was content during the autumn last year to wear regular shorts and a t-short. Over the winter I bought proper thermal cycling gear.

This year though I bought my bibs in spring and I've not regretted it one bit. Clearly you would not wear them to work or to go to the shops but when you're on your bike they are perfectly acceptable attire. They are definitely more comfortable than regular clothes. The longer you intend to ride each time you get on the bike the more the need for the correct attire.

I think its like anything in life, without the correct tools you're not going to get the best out of the activity/job.
  • I have padded shorts - bought from Aldi and really like them, but they are just shorts. What's the difference between them and bib shorts?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The bibs go over your shoulders and hold the shorts up - so no waistband cutting in and the shorts don't slip down.
  • same predicament 2 months ago- lycra aprehension as just started biking. Now however im 'bibbed up' and loving it
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    z0ct.jpg

What's not to like :lol: :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cougie wrote:
    The bibs go over your shoulders and hold the shorts up - so no waistband cutting in and the shorts don't slip down.

Ok, I've never had either of those issues, so I guess the difference for me will be minimal?
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    cougie wrote:

Ok, I've never had either of those issues, so I guess the difference for me will be minimal?

When your pad in your shorts begins to thin out get a pair of bib shorts, even if you don't "think" you have either of those issues you probably will find bibs more comfortable.
  • arran77 wrote:
    z0ct.jpg

What's not to like :lol: :P

thats the new shimano spd sl sandles.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    iamcami wrote:
    iamcami wrote:

blame wiggle

Actually, the goodie bag at the end of the Wiggle sportive I did had some toothpaste in it...!