gears changing at will

SpaceMonkey83
SpaceMonkey83 Posts: 25
edited September 2013 in Workshop
Hi There, I've got some 8 sp shimano sora shifters and derailleur. However lately, sometimes they have not been shifting when I push the lever in or push the button to make them go down. Then suddenly they change gear when I haven't even asked them too, this is both up and down the gears? Any ideas on what this could be before I spend any money out on it?

Comments

• kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Could just need to adjust the cable tension.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Cables have probably had their chips. When's the last time they were changed?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • macroadie
    macroadie Posts: 172
    Hi There, I've got some 8 sp shimano sora shifters and derailleur. However lately, sometimes they have not been shifting when I push the lever in or push the button to make them go down. Then suddenly they change gear when I haven't even asked them too, this is both up and down the gears? Any ideas on what this could be before I spend any money out on it?

Ghost man! run, run away fast and say a prayer :shock:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    this is both up and down the gears? Any ideas on what this could be before I spend any money out on it?

if your front shifter cable is too loose it will change up, if your back shifter cable is too loose it will also change up.

Gears that automatically change down require the cable to be tightened to do this, so this would require something sticking and is less likely.

tighten up the cable tension.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Cables have probably had their chips. When's the last time they were changed?

thinking this is it, gonna get some new cables and outers and try that.