Giant bikes

PudseyPaul
PudseyPaul Posts: 59
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have narrowed my next bike down to 2, both being Giant bikes. I was just wanting some advice as to which one stands out as the better bike, the bikes in question being the Giant TCR Composite 3 Compact Road Bike - 2013 and the Giant TCR SL 2. I will use the bike for a hilly commute and the occasional trip out when not being a full time dad.

Also never owned a Giant before and wondered how these size up? I'm 5ft 10.

Regards

Paul

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    You'll probably be a medium but maybe a medium large.. and you might want to look at the Defy range if you want it for commuting since you'll be able to fit proper mudguards etc?

My choice would be the SL 2 since it has 105... and I don't like the exposed cables on Tiagra.
  • Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the defy range, never really bothered with mudguards, don't mind getting a bit wet/dirty.

My preference was leaning towards the SL2
  • I bought a 2012 TCR Composite 1 earlier in the summer. I'm 5'11" and the M/L fits nicely. Giant's size chart suggests M for those at 5'10" - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/backoffi ... _pages.pdf

Paul's Cycles tend to have decent Giant deals.
  • PudseyPaul wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the defy range, never really bothered with mudguards, don't mind getting a bit wet/dirty.

My preference was leaning towards the SL2

If you're using it for commuting then mudguards are probably more useful in keeping the bike cleaner so you're not messing around cleaning it after a hard day at work!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    be sure to get your leg over both of them, that way you will know for sure.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I'm about 5'10" and went for m/l as the medium felt a little too cramped to me. Having said that, m/l feels a little big but I've got a 90mm stem and its fine. Sometimes wonder if I should have gone for medium though!!
  • 5'11" and I ride a M as the M/L felt too big after a test ride!
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you're using it for commuting then mudguards are probably more useful in keeping the bike cleaner so you're not messing around cleaning it after a hard day at work!

As long as you can fit Cruds, then it probably isn't worth compromising over the bike you want just for the sake of 'proper' mudguards. I have found them fine over many thousands of commute miles. If you want a TCR, get a TCR and make it work for your needs.

Do agree though that the justification is as much about protecting the bike as yourself - it's not just about keeping it clean but reducing drivertrain wear. Though you do personally appreciate full mudguards when it is really cold and really wet!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

As long as you can fit Cruds, then it probably isn't worth compromising over the bike you want just for the sake of 'proper' mudguards. I have found them fine over many thousands of commute miles. If you want a TCR, get a TCR and make it work for your needs.

Do agree though that the justification is as much about protecting the bike as yourself - it's not just about keeping it clean but reducing drivertrain wear. Though you do personally appreciate full mudguards when it is really cold and really wet!

But the reviews for the Defy wouldn't suggest that its much of a compromise :wink:
  • johngti wrote:
    I'm about 5'10" and went for m/l as the medium felt a little too cramped to me. Having said that, m/l feels a little big but I've got a 90mm stem and its fine. Sometimes wonder if I should have gone for medium though!!

Yes, sizing for Giant's is tricky if you are 5'10" to 5'11". I'm 5'11" and opted for M as preferred slightly more compact feel. But you really need to try both before deciding. I love my TCR comp though - fantastic bike for the cash.
  • I took delivery of my new giant tcr sl2 this evening and its a lovely bike. Can't believe how light it is and looking forward to taking it on its first ride.

One question I did have, tried to lower the seat post slightly and the markings on the back of the post seem to indicate it can go lower, however it won't budge, will come up but not any lower. Anyone had this and know if it just needs more persuasion?
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Your seatpost may need cutting down, mine came with instructions for doing this.

Did you go for M/L frame? Any chance of posting a photo of your shiny new bike.
  • Hi PudseyPaul,

I picked up the SL 1 the other week and the Giant shop (Rutland) told me they had cut an angle onto the bottom of the seatpost in case it should accidentally slip all the way down to the area where the seat tube is cutaway around the rear wheel. I'm told it's important to get the torque right on the seatpost. Seemed like a good reason to get another bike tool!

Am loving the bike and I hope you enjoy yours - yours is the more sensible option with the compact chainset! I just let my heart rule my head :lol:

p.s. Giant do a rear light for £15 that is designed for that seatpost
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge will overcome!
  • The defys that take mudguards are the ally ones. I don't think the comps have room. That said I couldn't get the giants mudguards to fit on mine anyway. If the defy is the right bike, fine, but don't go for the defy just because it mught take guards.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)