New earphones

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited September 2013 in The hub
Morning all

Looking for some new earphones for my Samsung S2. Ive been using the earbuds that come with the phone, but recently lost one of the foam covers, so now having to use ones that dont really fit, plus the mic is a little busted, so had silver electrical tape holding it together.

Tried to get some replacement phones off Amazon, but they are clearly fake (sound is terrible), so have been looking at getting some decent ones instead.

Budget is around £120. Whilst I'm not fussed about having a mic, i do want a remote to pause and FF tracks.

I was tempted by Shure SE215s. Love the idea of being able to replace the cable (since this was the reason i binned my last pair), but ive read reviews saying that this new design causes problems with connectivity at the earbud, plusi dont know if the optional remote will work with an Android phone...

Then i was looking at the Klipsch S4i 2 for Android. Good reviews, but nowhere UK based seems to sell them.

Anyone got any recommendations for an Android phone ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    at that price only 1 option for ear buds

bose

going for cans, then any at that price will be ok (just stay away from beats headphones, overpriced and for kids...)

but bose, those pioneer 1's that have been released... they are all good

sony also do a set of 4" cans for about £20-30 (they work really well and are almost disposable at that price)
  • I've got the Shure 215s, and the fit is rubbish over the ears, especially if you wear specs. I've had quite a few pairs of Shures over the years and thought they were great - until now.

Thinking about Bose Sie2s instead, but no idea about the remote on an Android.

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • DCR00
    i found someone on Amazon selling the Klipsch, so have ordered a pair

Will update when i have them
  • sprite1275
    sprite1275 Posts: 157
    These http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S7Q8CA?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links
    Superb sound, good fit, stay in when cycling, all for 12.50 notes. Bit more if you want a Mic.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've just got the shures, really like them. I'm not so keen on the memory wire over the ears but the sound and fit are great. I don't wear glasses though.

Next time I'm going to go custom though. Better start saving, Cheapest I can find are Minerva Mi1s at just under £200 which I don't think is that bad.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DCR00
    Arrived yesterday and ive been listening to them pretty much all day

Very comfortable. I did a 70 min conference call with them and didnt have any issues at all. Great seal so they block out prob 99% of ambient noise. Sound quality not quite as good as the Shures, but not far off. Still early days though, so they should improve. More bass though.

I have the latest Die Hard film to watch on the train home, so will be good to see how they compare to my Sennheiser cans.

Love the flat cable, and the remote is placed well for calls and general use.

The app idea is genius. You can tweak things like how many clicks on the remote does what and the speed of the clicks. Volume control doesnt appear to work, but 1. not fussed about that and 2. was aware from reviews

Overall v happy
  • DCR00
    prawny wrote:
    Next time I'm going to go custom though. Better start saving, Cheapest I can find are Minerva Mi1s at just under £200 which I don't think is that bad.

do like this idea, but at the rate i go through headphones, i would never use them ! (struggled to justify £90 for the Kilpschs)
  • prawny wrote:
    I've just got the shures, really like them. I'm not so keen on the memory wire over the ears but the sound and fit are great.

It's the new memory wire bit I struggle with - just never seem to get it right. Agree that the sound and fit in your ears is great, tho'. My older Shures (minus the memory wire bit) fit fantastically, but are starting to show signs of wear after constant gym use.

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    prawny wrote:
    I've just got the shures, really like them. I'm not so keen on the memory wire over the ears but the sound and fit are great.

It's the new memory wire bit I struggle with - just never seem to get it right. Agree that the sound and fit in your ears is great, tho'. My older Shures (minus the memory wire bit) fit fantastically, but are starting to show signs of wear after constant gym use.

I'm tempted to look at aftermarket cables from the east and see if I can get some without it. I'm on a self imposed eBay ban at the moment though :oops: . I've found this morning that if you run the cable up your back the memory wire is less of a problem, you do look like a dick though
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I use Sennhieser CX160s and for general use the sound really good and are cheap at about £20. Comfortable for long periods too. Can't ask for much more really
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    estampida wrote:
    at that price only 1 option for ear buds

bose

going for cans, then any at that price will be ok (just stay away from beats headphones, overpriced and for kids...)

but bose, those pioneer 1's that have been released... they are all good

sony also do a set of 4" cans for about £20-30 (they work really well and are almost disposable at that price)

II have to admit I havent heard a single bose item that doesnt sound like a bag of poop.
  • got a shure se 425, which i use with my samsung S3. Amazing earphones, highly recommend. Can hear every detail...