80s Vintage Raleigh Grand Prix Revamp

jada3993
jada3993 Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
First of all, I'm new to building bicycles. Anyhow, last day I bought this old 80s Raleigh Grand Prix with (5x2 gears). I'm considering to revamp it. However, I don't want to renew the tires, wheels, handlebar and paint because the city that I live in has one of the highest bike theft rates in North America.

My question is, will the following parts be compatible with the bike.

shifter set (break + gear(7 and 3)): (36.11) amazon.com/Shimano-ST-EF65-Shift-Brake-Black/dp/B00652QSXK/
rear and front derailleur: (15.92) amazon.com/Shimano-FD-M412-Alivio-Front-Derailleur/dp/B001GSMR6U + (11.48) amazon.com/Shimano-RD-TX35-Tourney-Derailleur-Regular/dp/B003ZM9RLI/
freewheel+hub: (12.83) amazon.com/Shimano-Tourney-7Spd-14-28T-Freewheel/dp/B003B8JYPU/ + (52.04) amazon.com/Shimano-FH-M756L-Rear-Disc-6-bolt/dp/B0076CLJB4/ref=zg_bs_3494281_8
chain: (17.17) amazon.com/Shimano-CN-HG50-8-Speed-Chain-Black/dp/B0013EP4W6
rim brake set: (26.82) amazon.com/Tektro-C326-Caliper-Brake-Black/dp/B0041X5XR2
cranksets: (24.20) amazon.com/Shimano-M131-Crankset-170mm-48/dp/B003ZMDJW6/
bottom bracket: (14.79) amazon.com/Shimano-Square-Taper-Bottom-Bracket/dp/B0068FVOEM
handlebar tape: (13.23) amazon.com/SRAM-Supercork-Bicycle-Bar-Tape/dp/B00142MD62
saddle: (20.20) amazon.com/Sunlite-Cloud-9-Bicycle-Suspension-Tri-color/dp/B000H87PUI/
cabble: (5.25) amazon.com/Bell-Bike-Fix-Cable-Set/dp/B002GCALOU

Photos of the bike
QbeVq4o.jpg
giLhD6u.jpg
VpiKySq.jpg
CVmLA9r.jpg
z3JEWa3.jpg
K2QbCxP.jpg
QMmd1NO.jpg
Xe8Sanr.jpg
OznrsK9.jpg
2cgXedL.jpg
KAgP5c9.jpg
9aqMii9.jpg
PhqU8uQ.jpg
5QxTWM4.jpg
1rUu6tD.jpg
0iE4k0Q.jpg
QMXvYAQ.jpg
KlUBZLJ.jpg
1cOggvM.jpg
OhiVnSN.jpg
iA8jRwP.jpg

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Can you post links to your equipment list?

What are you trying to achieve with this bike? Commuter? Runabout?

Good luck!
  • i cant add more than a preset number of links in my post.

so here they are

http://pastebin.com/A8tb8gae
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The value in this bike is in its cheapness. Any spend at all diminishes that. Ideally what you need to do with that bike is just strip it, clean it and reassemble it - replacing the minimum of parts neccessary (this shouldn't normally be more than brake pads, tyres, cables and maybe chain). Look in the Workshop thread for the BSA thread as to how it should be done.

The only things you should replace, if absolutely neccessary, are things that really are wrong spec for you - and the only essential there is the gears. But even that is a whole lot of trouble and expense and it would probably be cheaper to sell this bike and get one which does suit your needs to start with and renovate that. Also, possibly the calipers maybe worth changing as some of the long drop centre pulls from that era are a bit bendy which can be scary on steep hills - but that might not apply to yours - I wouldn't make that decision until I'd actually ridden the bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Leave it as is. Spending on new kit for that bike is false economy.

I might buy decent tyres though - they do make a difference.

Only replace stuff if its broken.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the wheels have steel rims, I'd change them to alloy - having the ability to stop is useful and steel rims are terrible for braking in the wet. Agree on spending the minimum - it's an old bike with little intrinsic value except in the fun of riding around on it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..