Argon 18 Krypton Veloce from 2010

bekneeboy
bekneeboy Posts: 56
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi, I've been offered an Argon Krypton 18 - I just wondered what peoples opinions were on this bike second hand for £1k? I'm hoping to offer £900 but will have to gauge the sellers response. Fortunately I am able to take it for a quick spin in the group ride tomorrow to give it a proper test.

What I wondered is any quick checks that I should make before accepting the offer - it being a carbon frame I can't really test in a more usual 'does it seem structurally sound' - as in there aren't any obvious dings that might suggest future problems, as I've heard carbon frames should be assumed to have C.10,000 miles useful life.

I sat on it and span round the block just the other day and all kit seemed to be fine, another consideration is that it's compact, which obviously gives a greater range of gears but (and to be honest I should be ok with standard gears) this should be an advantage when trying to race up hills when getting used to the sustained road efforts.

From my research I can see that the Veloce kitted bike was RRP £1700-ish but there was a Centaur kitted version for £2800-ish (the price that was quoted to me as the original cost - obviously what something cost 3 years ago isn't necessarily the best place to start with in terms of negotiating the price down)

I appreciate any advice given.
http://bigbikerideeurope.appspot.com/ - my plans for a tour of Europe riding as much as possible.

Comments

• Carbon frames should be assumed to have C.10,000 miles useful life........ Then what happens, do they disintegrate? Where did u get that from.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    10000 miles? There's a lot of folk out there who'll have to throw a frame away after a years use.
    There's some shite floating around on that there interweb.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I saw one go on Ebay a couple of months ago for a lot less than that. Personally I think £1000 is ambitious for that bike. You can do better.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    10,000 miles! Sh*t. I need to back off my riding. Had my TCR Advanced for 3 months and already coming up to 1000 miles. This is bad news. I can't ride in the rain as my frame will melt, and now I can't use her for more than 10,000 miles.

Carbon bikes suck.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    3 year old bike? - it's worth half what it was worth new tops.
    10,000 miles frame life? I'm off down the tip then to dispose of all my bikes - 10,000 miles is barely broken-in IMO.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..