Tale of 2 bikes

macroadie
macroadie Posts: 172
edited October 2013 in Road general
Anyone with similar experience with two bike?

Tale of 2 bikes
Bike 1: 12' Cannondale supersix ultegra di2, Carbon
Bike 2: 13' Felt F5 Sram Apex, Carbon

When i ride the Cad, it feels like i have to put a lot of effort to get up to speed (25mph) though twitchy, stiff and good looking.
The felt is sleek, smooth and suprises how it gets up to speed effortless though the wheels are not as good as Can.
Yesterday i got dropped by a group ride while riding the Can. Same group ride i kept up with at 26- 28 mphr with Felt

Now i only have 4 months of road cycling so i'm not an expert at all but am i being too judgemental on the Can or the problem is the "engine" here?

Thanks for ya 2 cents

Comments

• hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Could be the engine, or just more comfortable on the felt and find it easier to get all those horses working. Maybe you were just having an off day and now using it as an excuse for being dropped. Or that battery is weighing you down :D
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Sell the Cannondale and get another Felt :) Nothing wrong with the engine by the sounds of it.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Maybe you've not quite got the setup right on the Cannondale. I struggle to believe that there is much performance difference between two bikes of this sort of quality.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have a CAAD5 with Dura-Ace I keep in Aberdeen for rides after work and a Specialized Roubaix with Ultegra at the weekends when I'm home. The Cannondale has thin mudguards and a rack with one pannier. Wheels are similar, tyres identical. The Cannondale feels a little faster but I put this down to a 52t big ring vs 50t on the Roubaix. It could also be just the difference in roads I ride them on, I've never put them back to back on the same roads. I think it's just in my head because the start of my after work rides are always slightly down hill whereas at home they've normally a bit uphill.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bike setup issue.
    More problems but still living....
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    What sizes are your Dale and Felt and how are they setup? Got any pics?
    tick - tick - tick
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Apologies for being questioning, but...

You've only been riding 4 months, you've got two higher spec bikes, you can ride one in a bunch at high 20's mph comfortably and the other you can't.

Not an impossible scenario but somewhat odd! Presume you already perform another sport at an accomplished level so seems unlikely it's the engine and it also seems unlikely you wouldn't know that.
  • macroadie
    lc1981 wrote:
    Maybe you've not quite got the setup right on the Cannondale. I struggle to believe that there is much performance difference between two bikes of this sort of quality.

Bingo! that was the problem. I got the same handlebar and flipped the stem. Feels like a whole new bike
  • macroadie
    unixnerd wrote:
    I have a CAAD5 with Dura-Ace I keep in Aberdeen for rides after work and a Specialized Roubaix with Ultegra at the weekends when I'm home. The Cannondale has thin mudguards and a rack with one pannier. Wheels are similar, tyres identical. The Cannondale feels a little faster but I put this down to a 52t big ring vs 50t on the Roubaix. It could also be just the difference in roads I ride them on, I've never put them back to back on the same roads. I think it's just in my head because the start of my after work rides are always slightly down hill whereas at home they've normally a bit uphill.

I think it's all in the head. Also that day I had stomach upset so that might have weighed me down.
  • macroadie
    metronome wrote:

They are both 54cm. I have pics and will try to upload them here
  • macroadie
    morstar wrote:
    Apologies for being questioning, but...

You've only been riding 4 months, you've got two higher spec bikes, you can ride one in a bunch at high 20's mph comfortably and the other you can't.

Not an impossible scenario but somewhat odd! Presume you already perform another sport at an accomplished level so seems unlikely it's the engine and it also seems unlikely you wouldn't know that.

yes 4 months of riding and that's what the other experienced riders say, that 4 months and to be able to keep up with them is good start. I did play rugby in college and soccer semi-pro.
  • macroadie
    amaferanga wrote:
    Bike setup issue.

That did it. Luckily the LBS did a free bike fit on the Dale. The pedals on the Dale also were kinda off causing me to point my toes down unknowingly.
  • macroadie
    unixnerd wrote:

Would be interesting to put them back to back on the same road and see if you notice the difference.
  • metronome wrote:

Took pics and having issues posting.. error message below;

The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 480 pixels wide and 640 pixels high. The submitted image is 640 pixels wide and 480 pixels high.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Pics too wide :) height is ok.
  • macroadie wrote:
    Anyone with similar experience with two bike?

Tale of 2 bikes
    Bike 1: 12' Cannondale supersix ultegra di2, Carbon
    Bike 2: 13' Felt F5 Sram Apex, Carbon

When i ride the Cad, it feels like i have to put a lot of effort to get up to speed (25mph) though twitchy, stiff and good looking.
    The felt is sleek, smooth and suprises how it gets up to speed effortless though the wheels are not as good as Can.
    Yesterday i got dropped by a group ride while riding the Can. Same group ride i kept up with at 26- 28 mphr with Felt

Now i only have 4 months of road cycling so i'm not an expert at all but am i being too judgemental on the Can or the problem is the "engine" here?

Thanks for ya 2 cents

you can see pics here;

http://s609.photobucket.com/user/iflex2 ... 3520326676
  • photo1.jpg
    CADhoto.jpg

here you go Mr Macroadie.

Was interested to see size or setup differences.
    tick - tick - tick
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    What are those saddles? They don't look familiar. Are the photos taken before or after you made adjustments as the 'Dale looks to have a much higher front end than the Felt.
  • Pross wrote:
    What are those saddles? They don't look familiar.

They look like adamos, got one on my tt bike, bit odd at first but good in the tt position - remove quite a lot of discomfort!
  • Pross wrote:
    What are those saddles? They don't look familiar. Are the photos taken before or after you made adjustments as the 'Dale looks to have a much higher front end than the Felt.

Those are idamo typhoon saddles. Very good for relieving "the boys" and most comfortable saddle I've used to date.
    That's before I made the adjustment
  • metronome wrote:
    photo1.jpg
    CADhoto.jpg

here you go Mr Macroadie.

Was interested to see size or setup differences.

Thanks man!
  • Anyone still interested in chiming in.

So i bought a set of new tyre rims (Boyd Vitesse) and put them onthe cannondale plus the (cassette) Freewheel SunRace, 11-28T from felt F5.

Took the mavic ksyrium elite rims from cannondale and put them on the felt plus (cassette)Freewheel Shimano Ultegra 6700 12-25, 10 speed.

It seems like i'm more comfortable with the SunRace, 11-28T because when i pedal, the bike feels smoother and faster...or it's all in my head.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Are you sitting more upright on the Cannodale? You have a stack of spacers and a flipped stem. Looks a very upright position. Did you have a bike fit?
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    Are you sitting more upright on the Cannodale? You have a stack of spacers and a flipped stem. Looks a very upright position. Did you have a bike fit?

Yes I had a bike fir for both bikes. Changed the stem to more aero on the Dale.
  • macroadie
    update:
    Sold the Dale Supersix and used some of the $ to buy a 14' Giant propel advanced 3. Man! the difference is night and day although the Giant has shimano 105. Giant propel is very comfy, light and faster than the dale especially on headwind.