The most influential bike design in the last six years ?

adamfo
adamfo Posts: 763
edited September 2013 in MTB general
My candidate world be the 2008 Specialized Enduro.
German companies and others ,not selling in the States, have copied the patented Horst link and the general frame layout repeatedly.

2008 Enduro
9780-31_l.jpg

http://www.specialized.co.uk/us/en/bike ... 8/endurosl

2014 Canyon Spectral AM
1377867021393-9akxj57wgwkl-800-75.jpg

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The Horst-link and frame layout has little to do with anything imo (both have been around, and copied, foreeeeevvvvveeeer), but, in its class, yeah the Enduro is near the top and much-copied. I'd also say the Nomad C for much the same reasons; it showed that light-ish weight could still be combined with descending prowess, and showed a lot of people that carbon was a viable frame material not just restricted to XC rockets. Over the last six years I'd say designs with a VPP (inc. DW-link and all the others) have been more influential too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    In what way is the Canyon an influential design? Nothing new in that.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    In what way is the Canyon an influential design? Nothing new in that.

Maybe you should read what he's written instead of just looking at the pictures :roll:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd agree with Warpcow, VPP/DW-link have had a far greater impact recently, horst link has been around for donkeys years and I've yet to ride one I actually like. I have a real soft spot for DW link and VPP systems, very neutral, the pedal and climb incredibly well yet they are supple and supportive when descending. Can't really see any downsides to them in all honesty, they're just brilliant and I've no doubt if it weren't for patents we'd be seeing alot more of them.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I would say a Specialized with 29er wheels because once Specialized got into 29ers everyone else had to.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    DW and sc VPP couldn't be much more different in their kinematics though, totally different feel.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    having owned both FSR and VPP frames, IMO VPP is way way better in terms of design

Nothing wrong with FSR, but it requires a decent shock to provide a decent pedal platform

VPP on the other had does not

i think its hard to nail down one design. I would vote for the Iron Horse Sunday.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which vpp, the Santa Cruz? As fsr has a virtual pivot!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    I suggest you get your umbrella and oilskins out, you know that threads with topics like this always end up in a monsoon of bullsh*t :lol:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    supersonic wrote:

I was talking about my Intense frame, although the two designs are very similar