Tour de France Legacy?

goingbiking
goingbiking Posts: 2
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I just started college and wanted to get a road bike to commute to campus and around town. I don’t have a car so this would be my main mode of transportation. I’m kinda on a budget as I don’t have much money left over after paying for housing and school. I’ve been looking around Amazon and was thinking of getting the Tour de France Legacy Bike. Just wanted to know if it was a good budget road bike and what you guys thought. :D

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    If its going to be your main form of transport and you need it to get to college / the shops etc maybe a hybrid type bike would be a better bet?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    I very much doubt this will make you happy.
    Cheap brakes won't stop you & cheap tyres will slide and puncture. Amazon reviews poor too.
    Trying to change low spec components racks up the price very quickly.
    I haven't seen 12 (2x6) speed groupsets on new bikes for many years, although even the very basic Shimano kit works.

Best option is second-hand; but you need a knowledgeable friend or trusted source.
    Most people seem to say that the cheapest new bike worth buying is this:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red ... 74036.html
    But maybe you are on the wrong side of the Atlantic?
  • No it's an absolutely terrible bike. Either up your budget or buy the likes of a hybrid.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    You'd be far better getting a used bike, I've seen some right bargains in my time. A mate got a really nice Trek road bike for 200 quid off a guy a work. You'll also find folk get a bike on the cycle to work scheme then never use it, a few years later it's on ebay. Some universities have cycling advocacy groups who recycle old bikes, I know Aberdeen uni does and I'll bet it's not the only one.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Lots of new bikes get stolen at the beginning of college year. So, wait until you get there unless you can pick one up for £10-£20 to use. It'll be left out in the rain and snow and provided its maintained will give you good service and most toerags will not bother with it. Then with the money you have saved get a goodun that you can keep an eye on all the time.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    arran77 wrote:
    If its going to be your main form of transport and you need it to get to college / the shops etc maybe a hybrid type bike would be a better bet?

Is this your vain attempt to show that you are a valuable asset to the forum and maybe give you some clemency in the future? hee hee. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    arran77 wrote:

Is this your vain attempt to show that you are a valuable asset to the forum and maybe give you some clemency in the future? hee hee. :D

Go swivel :P

But yes :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn