kinesis Gran Fondo / Tk3

orangepip
orangepip Posts: 219
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

After 3 years my Caad 9 is starting to show it's age. I've covered approx 15000+ miles over the last 3 years on it and I fancy a change.

I commute to & from work on a daily basis and most of my riding (weekends excluded) takes place usually as an extended ride after work. As part of this I've used crud roadracer's for most of the year round however I find them deeply annoying on my Caad 9 as it takes the slightest bit of them falling out of alignment and it's hours of fettling! Additionally the BB30 bottom bracket requires so much more servicing than I expected due to the weather that I'm keen to avoid another bike with it especially as it will be ridden all year round.

As a result I'm considering a bike that can take full mudguards and yet is still racy enough that I won't miss my caad. Initial searching has highlighted the two in the subject line, however I'm very open to other suggestions. Any feedback any owners have on the above would be excellent as it's not possible for me to test ride them. My local shop can order them in but don't have any setup for a test ride.

I think I've highlighted the main things I'm looking for. I'm not bothered about panniers as I'm happy to wear a rucksac. I'm a little concerned with the GF as it can only take 23mm tyres with mud guards whereas I think the TK3 can take larger tyres and I think I would prefer to ride 25mm.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    How about a Condor Fratello, similar price to the Kinesis and a great all rounder. It is steel so you may either love it or hate it.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I've got a TK3. Currently running it with 25mm Conti 4 Seasons tyres with no issues. Been using mine to commute this year and been pleased with it.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Loving my TK3. Handles beautifully. I got mine after getting annoyed with Cruds also. Building up the frame with second hand Campag over recent months was an enjoyable project.
  • orangepip
    I like the idea of the condor especially with the custom paint work options. I'm a little concerned with the geometry though. It's advertised as being an audax bike and I'm not sure how that would ride compared to the others?

I do like the idea of British steel however particularly enigma but I'm not sure how compatible they are with mudguards.
  • bondurant
    They either take guards or they don't. Which Enigma did you have in mind?
  • orangepip
    I like the look of the elite but its not listed as having the mounts for mudguards. Obviously they have their audax / tourers that can clearly take guards but not sure they appeal as much! Still lovely obviously!

At that price though I'd probably just have to go frame only and move my stuff across from my existing bike, which wouldn't be the end of the world!
  • Biscuiteer
    Biscuiteer Posts: 143
    I'm almost in the same position as orangepip but choosing between T2 and TK3 instead of TK3 and Gran Fondo. I was drawn towards the T2/TK3 as they are designed for proper 57mm long drop brakes, increasing the tyre choice available when guards are fitted.

Talking to the bike shop, they recommended that I sell my current bike whole rather than my money-saving idea of moving a several-years-old groupset across (2008 ultegra, in my case). They reasoned that I'd probably not get much at all for an old alu frame on its own (a frame that was never particularly desirable, to boot), whereas selling the complete bike would fund the purchase of a brand new groupset and maybe some of the other components too.

Out of interest, what have you other TK3 owners bought? The complete Tiagra equipped TK3 bike that Kinesis offer or the TK3 frameset plus your own preferred components?

I'm erring towards the TK3 frameset with 105 groupset and Shimano R650 brakes (there's another thread on here suggesting that the Miche long drop brakes don't fit) so far.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Biscuiteer wrote:
    Out of interest, what have you other TK3 owners bought? The complete Tiagra equipped TK3 bike that Kinesis offer or the TK3 frameset plus your own preferred components?

I got the TK3 frame and got the LBS to build up with Tiagra groupset, apart from shifters, where I went for 105. Brakes are Tektro R539. I then used some existing Mavic Aksium wheels that I had and went for Conti 4 seasons tyres in 25cc flavour. Tortec guards.

I have a slight issue with the rear brake clearance. For some reason on the non-drive side the pad is very close to the sidewall of the tyre. It's not rubbing but it's only a millimetre or two away. I dropped the bike into my LBS today to see if they had any suggestions. After much fiddling with the pad and the centring screw we concluded a small file was called for!
  • bondurant
    Record 10 speed shifters, veloce NOS UT chainset, veloce front mech, centaur rear mech. And a mish mash of other old parts.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Biscuiteer wrote:

I'm erring towards the TK3 frameset with 105 groupset and Shimano R650 brakes (there's another thread on here suggesting that the Miche long drop brakes don't fit) so far.

Great brakes but as above check for compatibility. I think there was a thread recently about them not working on the TK3.
  • Biscuiteer
    Biscuiteer Posts: 143
    Yes, I've just been reading this http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12935545&hilit=tk3 again about brakes on the Kinesis. Miche definitely bad for the frame, Tektros have the longest drop at 59mm but Shimanos get highly rated in this other thread here http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12932741&hilit=r650 although not specifically for the TK3.
  • bondurant
    I have R650s on mine, they fit fine.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have had my Kinesis Granfondo for 3 years now, done about 8000 winter miles, superbly comfortable, and perfect for winter bad weather riding.

The paint is lifting a couple of areas, I will consider changing it within the next year or so for a Hand Made O'Rourke 953 Winter Frame, but I can't see the benefit in going for the Ti as the steel is lighter and probably more comfortable.