what does this mean?

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB general
I was looking through some mtb reviews and came across one for the new RS Pike..

All was good expect for this one part and I don't understand it, can someone explain what it means in simple terms?

"When things got hairy and the terrain became more well suited for a true DH steed, a bit of harshness and front wheel deflection was detected through the handlebars. It was as if the fork’s damping was overwhelmed and spiking or lubrication system had completely dried up. I tried playing with both the air pressure and the LSC. Nothing seemed to help. Under extreme braking or cornering load is when this was most noticeable and resulted in far more arm fatigue than one would expect from such a smooth and refined fork.
After a few weeks of this “surprise spiking” I decided to investigate a bit more thoroughly. Thinking it had something to do with bushing bind, I placed the front wheel of my bike against my truck tire, put a bit of lateral load on my handlebar and pressed through the fork. Sure enough, the fork was very difficult to cycle through its travel. In all fairness, all bushing based forks are going to suffer the same fate. However, when compared to other single crown forks in its class, the Pike seemed especially bad. This may not be something you notice unless you push the fork into “extreme” terrain and/or are a heavy dude like myself. In more moderate trail riding environments, the fork did not often showcase this behavior. But still, the fork is billed as one of the top enduro forks which means it will be pushed through more burly terrain from time to time.
To be fair, we recognize like anything, suspension performance is a give and take. A four pound fork isn’t to be expected to perform at near Boxxer like benchmarks. However, in the context of this review, this is a point worth mentioning."

Comments