Mini V brakes - arms too close...

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited August 2013 in Workshop
Just trying to fit some Tektro mini Vs on a CX frame at the front and can only assume the fork arms are too far apart because when I bring the arms of the brakes together they are so close that the rubber boot squishes up against the securing bolt for the brake cable. I suppose I could pinch the bolt up whilst holding the boot at bay but think it'll look a bit weird and surely not what is intended.

Is there a remedy for this? The instructions only provide a solution for if the arms are too far apart (switch round the convex/concave washers) so am at a bit of a loss. Is it an option to omit the rubber boot??

Any help gratefully received. Ta.

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Add some washers to place the blocks nearer the rim.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Some boots are longer than others, as long as it sits over the noodle securely I can't see this being a problem. It isn't something I'd worry about.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Just remove the boot, your brakes can live without it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Just remove the boot, your brakes can live without it.

Aye, do this. I don't have one on my rear brake (my front is arranged in such a way that is uses no noodle).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    I've added a very thin washer inboard of the arms and this has helped a little, may add another one and see if I have enough thread to play with. Will consider losing the boot anyway, thanks for the help chaps.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Most V brake pads come with 4 washers and the retaining bolt - 2 are cup things that allow you to change the angle and 2 are just cylinders - but are different sizes.

Different brakes need the thicker one or the thinner one on the rim side of the brake arm - there's a couple of mm in them so the wrong way round makes things a pain.

The angle the arms are at makes a difference to the leverage you get so if they're the wrong way round your brakes aren't as good - and it sounds as if yours are.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.