Is 2lbs really a big deal???

Re-Cycle
Re-Cycle Posts: 83
edited September 2013 in MTB general
You may have gathered from my other post I am looking at a Commencal Meta AM29 but I have heard some say that although they climb well they are a bit hefty at a claimed 31lbs. Yet I have looked at other bikes such as the Cube super stereo race 140 and whilst they are a claimed 28/29 lbs no one seems to mention there weight? I'm not the smallest built chap and depending on hard I'm training fluctuate between 92 and 100 kgs so am I really going to notice the odd pound or two??? And the kit on the AM 29 ltd edition is top notch to boot!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The others all have better warranties and less history of frame failures.
    2lb is quite a difference and if it already has top quality kit it should be lighter.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Are you comparing the weight to a 26 er they are usually about 2 pounds lighter than an equivalent spec 29er
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Whoever believes that such small weight difference matters for general riding for a rider of you weight not fighting for the place on podium is obviously deluded.

Your body weight may vary by more than that on a daily basis. Do you notice it when riding?
  • Depends on how you define your rides. ..performance or pleasure. ..if performance then clearly 2lbs is a big difference. ..by pleasure...then no its nothing as long as you enjoyed yourself. Just be honest to yourself.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    depend where the weight is. 2lb in the forks or 2lb in the wheels/tyres should be noticeable.
  • Re-Cycle
    I was comparing weight between 29ers. And as the weights given are for the cull bike im not sure where the extra couple of pounds is.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Re-Cycle wrote:
    I was comparing weight between 29ers. And as the weights given are for the cull bike im not sure where the extra couple of pounds is.

Possibly in the frame Commencal a while back had a problem with frames cracking I went through 4 of them in 2 years. They seem to have cured it but as a result they arent the lightest frames about.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A full bag of sugar is just over 2lbs or 1 KG, to give you an idea of the weight.

The most important thing is the bike fits you properly and feels good to ride. Lighter bikes can go faster and handle better but only if you get the right one for you. When I lost 7lbs in weight I found I was riding faster which I guess was due to increased fitness and not dragging as much weight round with me. It is not just the weight of the bike that matters. My own weight is similar to yours but I am over 6ft6 tall and enjoy curries too much :)
  • Re-Cycle
    Kajjal wrote:
    A full bag of sugar is just over 2lbs or 1 KG, to give you an idea of the weight.

The most important thing is the bike fits you properly and feels good to ride. Lighter bikes can go faster and handle better but only if you get the right one for you. When I lost 7lbs in weight I found I was riding faster which I guess was due to increased fitness and not dragging as much weight round with me. It is not just the weight of the bike that matters. My own weight is similar to yours but I am over 6ft6 tall and enjoy curries too much :)

Thanks i know how little it is that's why I can't believe that when a bike breaks the 30lb mark by a pound or two it becomes hefty or heavy but it seems as long as they stay under 30lb nothing is said about their weight. My fitness is quite good so that's not a problem and I'm to long in the tooth to be pulling any whips over jumps. Thanks to all those that have posted.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Different manufacturers weigh bikes in different ways (there is no standard), as such the difference may be more or less than 2lbs, for example some weigh with and others without pedals which is nearly another pound, some weigh a small (or XS - lightest) others a medium (most representative).

A chunk of weight difference can be in the tyres which of course most people will change straight away.

A bike (of itself) will never be better being heavier, but that doesn't mean a lighter bike (with different attributes) is better than a heavier one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.