Helicopter tape???

gordonmackay
gordonmackay Posts: 35
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Does it work?will my bike fly? Lol. Im waiting on my first ever brand new bike to arrive and im like a kid at christmas.i like to keep things good so does this tape work?does anyone use it? Is it noticeable?is it removeable without damaging paint etc? Lots of questions i hope you dont mind.many thanks folks!
Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice.Its even nicer to be extremely violent to those who arent nice to you!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick little bits on where there might be cable rub and leave it at that. It comes off easily enough, normally.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • well my advise would be before going out on your first ride
    have a good look at the frame and were any cables or hoses touch or can rub on the frame/forks

this is the area you want to be first protecting, after that i would strongly suggest you protect the under side of your downtube and both pedal crank arms.

you can buy the helitape in kits for around £25-30. its expensive but its much better quality and thicker than the cheap stuff.

also a few good tip is
    make sure you bike is 100% clean before putting it
    when you apply it take your time because if you apply it with creases it looks terrible, if you do i right it will almost look likes it not even on.
    once applied in the right place go over it with a hair dryer on a medium heat setting just for a few seconds and then rub it with a clean cloth, this will help it stick much better and smooth out

it dose sound like a lot of work but you want to look after your bike and do this right the first time and you probably wont have to ever do it again.

in red is were i have mine on the outer side of my frame, in yellow means its on the inside. hope it helps

mybike2_zps896d2e20.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    You can get good quality tapes at reasonable prices from Paragon Tapes on Ebay.
  • Thanks for the replys.will certainly give it a try.ive found various links to it including paragon tapes.what length and width would you suggest is required to protect a large framed bike to protect to the level of winter zombies lovely bike?
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice.Its even nicer to be extremely violent to those who arent nice to you!
  • hi

this is the stuff i used on my boardman

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ext ... k-ec005431

Bike Shield Full Pack

its not as cheap as the other makes but i think its a good buy
  • well my advise would be before going out on your first ride
    have a good look at the frame and were any cables or hoses touch or can rub on the frame/forks

this is the area you want to be first protecting, after that i would strongly suggest you protect the under side of your downtube and both pedal crank arms.

you can buy the helitape in kits for around £25-30. its expensive but its much better quality and thicker than the cheap stuff.

also a few good tip is
    make sure you bike is 100% clean before putting it
    when you apply it take your time because if you apply it with creases it looks terrible, if you do i right it will almost look likes it not even on.
    once applied in the right place go over it with a hair dryer on a medium heat setting just for a few seconds and then rub it with a clean cloth, this will help it stick much better and smooth out

it dose sound like a lot of work but you want to look after your bike and do this right the first time and you probably wont have to ever do it again.

in red is were i have mine on the outer side of my frame, in yellow means its on the inside. hope it helps

mybike2_zps896d2e20.jpg

Need some on your top tube, paint will start to fade otherwise!
  • realy ? i didnt know that. well i don't get any mud or crap on the top tube

thanks for the advise :)
  • cooldad
    Whoosh?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • well ive contacted various suppliers asking for discounts due to being extremely cheeky and tight lol. Lets see what prices I can get as think the actual kits are too dear! (for me anyway)
  • well ive contacted various suppliers asking for discounts due to being extremely cheeky and tight lol. Lets see what prices I can get as think the actual kits are too dear! (for me anyway)

go on to ebay and have a look at this 300952582066

its the same kit as mine but just under half the price, its from a bike shop and they have good feedback

i will be buying one next week when i have a bit of extra cash
  • Thanks for that. Is it the same or just similar to your kit? Not sure if i want pre cut pieces like in the pic they show (is there 10 precut/sized bits?). Paragon tapes will do 4m x 30mm (should be plenty) for about £10 posted. Think i prefer the idea of cutting it myself. Mmm,choices :?:

go on to ebay and have a look at this 300952582066

its the same kit as mine but just under half the price, its from a bike shop and they have good feedback

i will be buying one next week when i have a bit of extra cash

Decided to go ahead and order this anyway.Great price cant be argued with. Just 7 days to wait until new bike arrives :D Im going to fit this tape even before I take it for its first spin or I have a feeling it wont get done at all lol
  • the one in the ebay link is the same kit as mine

and i agree you should fit the tape before going out on your first ride, i wish i had. my crank arms have rub marks :(

keep us updated with how you get on with it and the new bike :)
  • Are we talking about mountain bikes here?
  • cooldad
    Sadly, yes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Are we talking about mountain bikes here?

Technically yes and no so in a roundabout way,maybe but not entirely! :wink:
  • the one in the ebay link is the same kit as mine

and i agree you should fit the tape before going out on your first ride, i wish i had. my crank arms have rub marks :(

keep us updated with how you get on with it and the new bike :)

Will do and thanks for the pic zombie.Much easier to see where the tape is rather than try explain it. Im going to put it on correctly as well,using a bit of heat. Im prone to rushing things so good time to learn patience. I will post up my opinions on its first ridout and as ive got a nice wee route planned will take pics aswell which I always do. Thanks again!