Seemingly trivial things that I quite like

Alain Quay
Alain Quay Posts: 534
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
Commuting to work and passing a cyclist in cycle gear - pref. team lycra.

On summer evenings, on a smooth road, the sound of midges pinging off cycle glasses (Scottish phenomenon).

Overtaking someone wearing Rapha - even if it' s in a queue at the cinema.

Brown paper packages all tied up with string (for 2013 read: Wiggle/Amazon delivery.)

Comments

• Getting to that hill on the ride you thought was going to be an issue and just powering up without even bothering to change down the gears ;)
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    When my local cafe has sold out of the healthy "porridge and banana" so i end up with a bacon or sausage buttie.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Letting slower cyclists (in regular clothes) to have satisfaction of overtaking me when I'm cooling down after a long ride or having an easy/recovery day :wink:
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    edited August 2013
    Setting out at 5.30 in the morning in dry cool weather and watching the sun come up and feeling that almost imperceptible rise in temperature on your bare arms......especially when every other rider you've passed is wearing arm (and sometimes leg) warmers!!!!
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    Barteos wrote:
    Letting slower cyclists (in regular clothes) to have satisfaction of overtaking me when I'm cooling down after a long ride or having an easy/recovery day :wink:

Ah, that's from the Boys Book of Cycling Excuses, chapter 17, paragraph 8. :D
    Work trousers with a sharp crease can be very aerodynamic, you know.

Passing someone and looking nonchalant, whilst on the verge of a heart attack.
  • Finding a wallet and handing it in.
    Stroking a dog.
    Really enjoying a meal.
    Riding past a little lay-by snack bar and smelling bacon.
    Having a really good game of Rush on Battlefield 3.
    Cleaning my bike until it all gleams.
    New pair of shoes.

I could go on due to the fact that I'm irritating and trying to be a half full person rather than a half empty.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • macroadie
    macroadie Posts: 172
    the wind on your back after a 55 mile ride!
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Arriving at the 'Greyhound' roundabout on the very busy A580 at the same moment there is a lack of traffic allowing me to carry straight on without stopping/unclipping.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Seeing the Tw@t who couldn't wait to overtake in his car get flashed just after he speeds off past you. Good timing numbnuts.

Being able to help a stranger who has had a mechanical.

Getting home before the wife so I can have 5 minutes peace before the random question generator fires up.
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Girls on bikes.

Girls on bikes wearing skirts, you've got to love the city.

A new pair of socks.

The first cup of coffee in the morning.

Overhearing a small child proclaim in front of a mortified parent "why is that man/woman so fat, bald, or why does that man/woman smell?"

There's more but you'd just think I was weird(er)....
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399

Getting home before the wife so I can have 5 minutes peace before the random question generator fires up.

Amen to that
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    simonhead wrote:

Amen to that
    Getting home five minutes after the wife has left for work :D
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Stunning a wasp mid-flight with a tea towel whip.

Being told I smell nice by random ladies.

Whilst out for a ride-

Being passed very courteously by the guy who lives nearby, in his Ferrari 458, who has waited patiently behind you while it wasnt safe to overtake, who then proceeds to freaking CANE it once he's past, with a little wave of his hand. One of the most spine tingling, hair-on-back-of-neck sounds ever. Fantastic.

Seeing cheery old folk riding their audax bikes. In a more aerodynamic position than 90% of the Mamils.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Similar to above, the many many people who wait for a safe overtake and those, who if I pull over to allow cars past, will acknowledge, wave and beep appreciation.

My cats coming to greet me when I get home, and don't mind if I smell and sweat from cycling.

Homemade pizza, where the base hasn't over proved or been knocked back too much - topped with artichoke hearts, black olives, and chilli.

Waking up at the weekend, having decided not to drink the previous night.

A good poo.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Stunning a wasp mid-flight with a tea towel whip.

Being told I smell nice by random ladies.

In the back of the jam sandwich?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    - The smell of my pillow
    - Children's laughter
    - Being right about the weather clearing up, like today :D

It's just a hill. Get over it.