Headset replacement question

wilky27
wilky27 Posts: 200
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've got an old Trek 1.2 2009 and the headset bearings seem to have gone. On the Trek site the headset is a 'Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed'. Does anyone know where I can get some replacement bearings for this headset or will it need replacing altogether as it's sealed?

Thanks in advance,
Wilky.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Suggest you visit / ask a Trek dealer as it's a unique design to them. It's a semi-integrated design, so not sure you can replace it with a conventional model either.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • wilky27
    Ah. Will do. Thanks.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    When the headset on my 2011 Trek 1.5 went I couldn't find any bearings that fit. I have read they're Trek specials.

I had the LBS fit a new headset. Probably cost as much as new special order bearings.
  • wilky27
    Does anyone know which headset will fit a 2009 trek 1.2?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    do you have it apart?

If the bearings are cartridge units (and I've no idea if they are) then it's usually just a case of swapping them for new versions (although there are a number of variants).
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • wilky27
    No. It's my only bike at present so don't really want to take it apart. I thought if I could just order a new headset then sort it when it arrives it won't be off the road for long. My LBS will have it a week minimum.

Thanks.
  • wilky27 wrote:
    No. It's my only bike at present so don't really want to take it apart. I thought if I could just order a new headset then sort it when it arrives it won't be off the road for long. My LBS will have it a week minimum.

Thanks.
    Your LBS will have the bike for a week? To fit a headset? Mine fitted one there & then for me. It's a 10 minute job.

Unless you have all of the tools or are willing to invest in them (headset press, cup remover) then I'd leave this one to your LBS (or another one if they want it for a week).

Or is there a week's queue?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437
    only takes a few minutes to take off the forks and have a measure, you can make a sketch with dimensions, then re-assemble and search for a compatible replacement

this thread may help...

viewtopic.php?t=12884823&p=17933849

also try a headset finder, i.e.

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Only takes a few minutes if you have

a) a work stand to hold the bike and ideally
    b) somebody to help you by holding the bars while you drop the fork out of the frame to ID the bearings.

You can leave the bars flopping about and hanging from the cables so b) is optional, but trying to do anything headset related without a workstand is a proper pain in the @rse.
  • wilky27
    patrickf wrote:
    wilky27 wrote:

Thanks.
    Your LBS will have the bike for a week? To fit a headset? Mine fitted one there & then for me. It's a 10 minute job.

Unless you have all of the tools or are willing to invest in them (headset press, cup remover) then I'd leave this one to your LBS (or another one if they want it for a week).

Or is there a week's queue?
    Yeah he's really busy so your bike goes in a queue unfortunately.
  • wilky27
    Thanks sungod and keef. I do have a stand (and a willing Mrs) so i'll take it apart tonight!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437
    keef66 wrote:
    Only takes a few minutes if you have

a) a work stand to hold the bike and ideally
    b) somebody to help you by holding the bars while you drop the fork out of the frame to ID the bearings.

You can leave the bars flopping about and hanging from the cables so b) is optional, but trying to do anything headset related without a workstand is a proper pain in the @rse.

i've no stand, never had a problem greasing or replacing headsets, changing forks, or any other task for that matter

depending on the job, i either lean the bike against a wall, hang it from something, flip it over, or put a bit of cardboard on the floor and lay it down

a stand would slow me down!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • wilky27 wrote:
    Thanks sungod and keef. I do have a stand (and a willing Mrs) so i'll take it apart tonight!
    Sounds like a good excuse to buy a headset, headset remover, and headset press. This press is surprisingly good for the price http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-headset-press/.

Now onto the headset, it's likely (though obviously double-check) that this could be the same as on my 2011 Trek 1.5. In which case, my LBS replaced it with this one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cane-creek-40-series-traditional-1-18-inch-headset/.

Box I was supplied with has model number BAA0068K, which is this: http://store.canecreek.com/p/40-ec34-complete

You'll also need to get the old crown race off - I haven't done this so can't advise the best way without buying another tool for the job. By the gouges on mine it looks like my LBS may have taken a screwdriver to it! To fit the crown race just use some white plastic 40mm waste pipe and a mallet.

A new headset spacer was required on my bike as the dust cover on the new headset isn't as tall as the old one.
  • wilky27
    Thanks for the replys. I took it to my LBS in the end. He did it in no time using an FSA headset he had lying around.