World Ports Classic

mechanism
mechanism Posts: 891
edited September 2013 in Pro race
I have no knowledge of the geology, wine, cheese etc. in the Antwerp/Rotterdam region but they're experimenting with bike-mounted cameras so may be worth watching a bit of it. Its on Eurosport at 14:00 CET/13:00 BST today.

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVpOPoin6mdlDg_spuFXMe_vi2DugjOalus1B08uURNqLsBDdl
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Wind_turbines_and_kitesurfers_in_Zeeland_453762032.jpg
  • Doesn't it therefore follow you might see some of this?

echelon.jpg

Which can't be a bad thing, can it?
  • thomthom
    If the containers aren't stacked properly together it might be..
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    edited August 2013
    Having lived in Rotterdam, it wasn't a race/finish I would leave the house for. Can be windy though, and the bike-cams seem interesting. Here's footage from another race last week: http://youtu.be/J4V22VLr9gA, although those were handlebar mounted whereas today's are underneath the saddle.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    cesco wrote:
    although those were seat mounted whereas today's are underneath the saddle.
    We had seat mounted cameras for several years in the "GIRO" before they were done away with. :lol::lol::lol:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • anyone seen any cam action yet?

on the other hand, there seems to have been some routing carnage....
  • Well that was interesting. I've tuned in to have a look and it seems they had a real signage mess-up at a roundabout, with the break going one direction and the peloton going another (the wrong way) thereby tripling the gap by the time the organisers had re-routed and got everyone back on track.

Im sure wrong turns and such are not unheard of, (though you really wouldnt expect them at this level), but Im curious if there are any sub-rules or regulations that come into place, or is it just tough chips for those that got caught out?

Its particularly interesting to occur in a flat, short race such as this rather than a grand tour or something where theres time to even any discrepancies out.

Looks like the Peloton are really putting the hammer down to bring it back, but will be interesting to see if the break can stay away as a result of this!
    "There's only one way to get rid of Sagan and that's literally to kill him." -David Harmon, Eurosport, Ronde van Vlaanderen.
  • anyone seen any cam action yet?

Nope, heard the commentators refer to it but not seen any yet which is a pity.
    "There's only one way to get rid of Sagan and that's literally to kill him." -David Harmon, Eurosport, Ronde van Vlaanderen.
  • Adamkalin wrote:
    anyone seen any cam action yet?

Nope, heard the commentators refer to it but not seen any yet which is a pity.

Had a 10 sec viewing right at the start but nothing since. To many issues with routes and timings I imagine.
  • Brilliant win! A lot of unhappy faces. Guess it came down to a lack of communication.
  • Well, an unexpectedly interesting race for all the wrong reasons! Wallays takes it after pulling away from the break. With a healthy time gap before the rest of the field came in too, you'd have to think today's mess-up this could be significant for the overall tomorrow as well. A combination of the re-routing and lack of radios may have contributed to this I think.
  • A comedy of errors stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    9631655212_20630b393a_z.jpg

The break, then the peloton, reach the roundabout.

I wonder if anyone is thinking sabotage?

Pity the signage further to the right on the first photo isn't visible on the second - it's not clear to me where it is.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    ThomThom wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVpOPoin6mdlDg_spuFXMe_vi2DugjOalus1B08uURNqLsBDdl

Watched a documentary recently about the fella who invented those containers. Interesting thing was that he gave the design away as he new it wouldn't work unless everyone used the same system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcom_McLean

As you were.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thomthom
    Tail, I'm borderline offended that you used the word 'interesting' about a documentary on containers.
  • cesco
    Being a vegetarian myself, I'm happy for Tjallingii. Not the first time this week that an attack gets rewarded.
  • No wonder they couldn't catch Tjallingii. 49kph stage average, with a cold and sore throat.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • cesco
    He even thought of abandoning the race prior to today's stage!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    ThomThom wrote:
    Tail, I'm borderline offended that you used the word 'interesting' about a documentary on containers.
    There is actually a good book about Container Shipping - its called "The Box" (subtitle how container shipping changed the world or some such). Shipping containers really have shaped world trade and made products accessible and cheaper - including bike products! Container ports are also fascinating places - how they track containers/get them on and off ships as quickly as possible, turn around times etc etc...

Sorry. Geek moment there....
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    mroli wrote:
    Shipping containers really have shaped world trade and made products accessible and cheaper - including bike products! Container ports are also fascinating places - how they track containers/get them on and off ships as quickly as possible, turn around times etc etc...

No problem, the world would stop without them.
    Just pull the plug
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    mroli wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    There is actually a good book about Container Shipping ...
    No apology necess. Just because a topic doesn’t sound exciting doesn’t mean it’s uninteresting.
    As well as their influence on world economy (“the lego-blocks of world economy”) and how shipping companies and port facilities had to radically change, the adverse sociological effects on certain communities which came with container shipping is also interesting – some ports shrunk drastically in importance and trade while those which converted to container traffic only required one-tenth the number of dockers compared to previously.

The idea of constructing houses and other buildings using containers is also interesting and one can find some good designs on relevant websites. One just has to forget the Pete Seeger song ‘Little Boxes’ and hope they are better insulated than the post-war prefabs erected in the UK.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    It's quite a fascinating subject when you think about it,like logistics! I was reading that Adam Hansen wrote a logistics programme for Lotto-Belisol. An interesting guy - shoes, bars, computer programmes!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Frank Sobotka is sad at all this talk of shipping containers :cry:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    afx237vi wrote:
    Frank Sobotka is sad at all this talk of shipping containers :cry:
    It's his own fault. Unlike him, in Rotterdam they know how to stack containers full of hookers properly.
    Twitter: @RichN95