Traffic free routes around Sunderland

razocaine_07
razocaine_07 Posts: 9
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Was wondering if there are any decent traffic free or quieter roads around the sunderland area so I can get used to my new bike?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out Sustrans maybe ?
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Or Bikely, or Map My Ride?
  • dave27
    dave27 Posts: 35
    NCN1 runs up the coast towards South Shields, you can then connect onto NCN14 to run along the south of the Tyne. Or there is another NCN (can't recall number) but it runs west out of Sunderland towards Washington, Chester-le-Street etc.

Both of these are multi use paths but are good to get started with, a few roads to cross or small sections to share but majority is quiet. I'm sure there will be routes towards the south but I haven't used these before.
  • Head up to South Sheilds on NCN1 you can cross the Tyne on the ferry or use the Bowes path to go through to Gateshead. There is also the C2C/NCN7 which goes to Birtley much of which has been tarmacced recently apart from a few gravel sections passable on a road bike with care. Tarmac runs out at Pelton but this will be extended to Beamish in a few months.

There also a cycle route running alongside the Metro line to South Hylton where it turns to gravel but again fine on road tyres until you arrive near Penshaw Monument.