Trek BB95 & Shimano crank nightmare

ste_t
ste_t Posts: 1,599
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had new BB95 bearings fitted to enable me to run standard HT2 cranks on my Trek carbon Fuel, but cannot get it all to work.

I've tried to fit Deore cranks with 36/26 rings but if I fit the cranks without spacers the small chainring fouls the chainstay. The axle also doesn't appear to be wide enough as it doesn't protrude far enough from the none drive side.
aa_zps7a300d0b.jpg
aa_zpse04d07b7.jpgaa_zpsfafadc74.jpg

If I try fitting one of the spacers it gives enough clearance for the small chainring but definitely not enough axle through on the NDS.

aa_zps8fb00a68.jpgaa_zps223e9431.jpg

On top of that, I assumed running 2x10 would work with the XX front mech that is on there, but apparently is designed to run 42/28 and there doesn't look to be room to drop it down due to the suspension. It is a 2010 Fuel EX 9.9 that originally came with a Noir 44/32/22 and Xtr front mech.

aa_zpsec2c9795.jpg

The previous owner was running gxp cranks and I have no idea how they would have differed in fitting for him to utilise the XX front mech whilst still running a small enough ring to miss the chainstay.

Any thoughts on how I can solve these issues?

Edit: The instructions that came with the BB said to NOT use the spacers, but the lbs told me that I would need to fit both spacers

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I would email Trek through their website. When I have asked them things them have come back fairly helpful.

Have you measured the BB shell?

I havbe heard of some Shimano triple type granny rings (22T/20T) clipping the frames
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Just a thught, go on the the Trek archives and see what was fitted as standard.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Can't see your photos as Photobucket is blocked at work, but I've got a Top Fuel with BB95 that came with XTR double cranks (30/42), they use both the spacers on the axle (assume we're talking the c5mm and 2mm spacers?), the thick one on the drive side IIRC.

There are different BBs for SRAM and Shimano, definitely got the right one? The GXP one has a flange on the inner race of one of the bearings.
  • ste_t
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Just a thught, go on the the Trek archives and see what was fitted as standard.

Trek website shows that I have the correct bb and as above came with a Noir 44/32/22 and Xtr triple front mech.

njee - frame had a gxp bb in when I bought it. I bought a Shimano bb from Evans and my lbs swapped it over - ht2 cranks won't go through the gxp non drive side bearing as the inner diameter is too small. Website shows the top fuel shouldn't use the spacers either?
  • njee20
    Got the link? Mine categorically has spacers on the axle, and wouldn't work without.
  • ste_t
    njee20 wrote:
    Got the link? Mine categorically has spacers on the axle, and wouldn't work without.

My mistake, Top Fuel is bb90 and Fuel Ex is bb95, so use exactly the same bb bearing kit but the Ex doesn't use the 3.5mm and 1mm spacers whereas the Top does.
  • njee20
    Fun fact. Doesn't help you out though!
  • ste_t
    True. I've sent a link to this thread to my lbs who are sending it to Trek and Madison, so should help!