Replacing Brakes

FatManSeth
FatManSeth Posts: 32
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi there,
i have just purchased some Clarks Gold Triple Compound Brakes to replace my standard issue brakes on my Cube Race Peloton. I assume that changing the blocks over is a simple case of unscrew and replace?

Being a newb i just wondered if there is anything else i should know about changing these components?

Thanks

Comments

• Yep. Best advice is to screw them into place with the brakes full on. I forgot this last time and they they weren't exactly square onto the rim.

You'll also need to move the barrel adjuster back out if you've been moving it in to compensate for wear.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Take wheel out, remove old blocks, screw adjuster back in, fit new blocks into approximate position. Put wheel back in, line blocks up with wheel rim, pull brakes full on (check blocks are still lined up), tighten blocks into position. Done.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    Take wheel out, remove old blocks, screw adjuster back in, fit new blocks into approximate position. Put wheel back in, line blocks up with wheel rim, pull brakes full on (check blocks are still lined up), tighten blocks into position. Done.

You don't have to take the wheel out, I've always changed without doing that, although it can be fiddly, less fiddly than taking the wheels off, especially the rear.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    If you are changing the whole carrier and not just a cartridge, it's easier to take the wheel out. I use the same brakes as the OP now and changing just the cartridge will now be a 1 minute job :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:

"done" :-)
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • First mistake made - I only bought one pair!
    Doh!
    Think I'll need front AND back!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    FatManSeth wrote:
    First mistake made - I only bought one pair!
    Doh!
    Think I'll need front AND back!

In theory, if you have been doing it properly, the rears won't yet need replacing as they are used a lot less.
    Faster than a tent.......