warranty on 6 week old bike

biggs83
biggs83 Posts: 37
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys
My dad has bought himself a cheapish bike from what used to be the old Graham Reeds in Nottingham around 6 weeks ago give or take. He has only taken the back wheel off once to change an inner tube as we couldn't find the hole in the original tube.
The cones had come loose on the rear wheel so I tightened them up for him and after testing that the axle was spinning freely I noticed that it was slightly bent.
He has taken it down today back to the shop and told them what has happened and they has basically said that because he had taken the wheel off to change the inner tube that its not covered under warranty and the wheel may be buckled. The riding he does is road with a little gravel track in there to. Is this right for this to happen and they talking rubbish and do you think if they carry on we could get our money back from this, very poor service indeed
many thanks

richard

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like rubbish to me. If removing a wheel voided a warranty no one would have one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • biggs83
    this is very true. im just trying to get my head round why they have said it
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    It is tosh, they are saying it to fob him off. The wheel is designed to be easily removable so stand your ground, quote the consumer rights act and if necessary have a go at them through the small claims court. If you want some help have a chat with Citizens' Advice Bureau before getting really nasty with the LBS.
  • biggs83
    I think hes going down tomorrow so ill tell him the advice that everyone has put, i'll also tell him to try and get his money back and get one at halfords or something. I see some good review on here about them (or that a lot of people have bought from there)
    Many thanks
  • Are they saying a bent wheel is out of warranty or taking the wheel off invalidates the warranty? Quite different.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • biggs83
    taking the wheel off invalidates the warranty, hes got it back today and they said that nothing was wrong with it, but I guess there just trying to fob him off
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nothing to do with warranty anyway, thatis an addition to your consumer rights. The goods are faulty. If they disagree they must prove it.
  • biggs83
    they basically said that the tyre wasn't on properly, so i've just been out to have a look and noticed one of the spokes is loose, shows how much of a good job they did of checking the bike over
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You took it in for a wobbly wheel, if it wasn't why would they check the spokes.....

Wobbly tyres frequantly make wheels look wobbly....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Any half descent bike shop should provide a check up service after about six weeks, to check things like this.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • biggs83
    im just going to sort it for him and i dont think he will be going back there in a hurry
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As it was owner error that seems a bit harsh, still they'll probably be happy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Rookie wrote:
    As it was owner error that seems a bit harsh, still they'll probably be happy.

Eh?

A bent axle, loose spokes and being told "if you take the wheel off you invalidate the warranty" is owner error?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Not really sure of the cause in this case, but a decent bike shop would just take the wheel and true it for you. smile and say there you go. If you or your dad have contributed or caused problem then explain to you what went wrong. Trueing will take 2 mins. customer happy. everybody happy. end of.

To compete with the internet your lbs has to go a bit further in terms of customer service. good advice and good service.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story