Eurobike!

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB general
It's that time of year again... 2014 bike on the way

What's the thing you're most excited for that's come out of eurobike 2014 so far?

For me, the new transition bandit and covert.. They've got all the right numbers just hope they perform!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Blehhh
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Highlight for me is discounted 2013 bikes.
    Transition bikes just don't do it for me. They are just a bit average, nothing exceptional.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Still early days to say what really stands out, but the new DVO prototype Enduro fork looks very interesting. If they can put it out at the weight and the spec they say and for a reasonable price then it could be a very, very good fork. The Canyon Spectral looks great as well, 650b, decent geometry and it'll be very well priced. Kinda wish Canyon would push carbon more for their mtb's.

More importantly we're gonna see very, very few 26ers at trade shows. 650b and 29ers are really picking up pace and I don't think it'll be long before 26ers are near as dead as far as complete new bikes and frames go.
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    Still early days to say what really stands out, but the new DVO prototype Enduro fork looks very interesting. If they can put it out at the weight and the spec they say and for a reasonable price then it could be a very, very good fork. The Canyon Spectral looks great as well, 650b, decent geometry and it'll be very well priced. Kinda wish Canyon would push carbon more for their mtb's.

More importantly we're gonna see very, very few 26ers at trade shows. 650b and 29ers are really picking up pace and I don't think it'll be long before 26ers are near as dead as far as complete new bikes and frames go.

I saw the DVO, stiff, light and plush..! Should be awesome and hopefully cheaper than Fox
    Same it's not out till next April
  • lawman
    Forgot to mention the new stan's carbon rim, looks more xc than trail/am/enduro, but hopefully it won't be long before we see more from them. I love my crests, best rims I've used by miles, a carbon Arch EX or Flow would be awesome!
  • ej2320
    Again saw those,

Yeti SB 75 is on display

650b SB 66 I assume

MRP Forks and shock..!!?!
  • lawman
    Not keen on the Yeti's! The 575 is fugly as hell!

One thing that really is getting on my tits that very, very few seem to be doing is giving bikes longer toptubes. Niner chopped 20mm off the new WFO9, meaning the medium would be too short, but the large would be spot on, alas there is no way I can ride a 20" frame! Shame as well, as it looks like an awesome bike, and shockingly I was even considering getting a demo on one despite my dislike for 29ers!! :shock:
  • ej2320
    Shame there's no lime 575 that was the best colour...

The transitions are supposed the have a long TT but need to check geo

Carbon Norcos look decent
  • lawman
    Norco are on a roll atm with the sight, the Aurum is a great DH bike too. They've come a long way since I worked as a Norco dealer, decent bikes at the time but nothing special. The carbon sight could well be a class leader.
  • ej2320
    Also being hooked up with Evans helps

The Norcos are reasonably priced too which is one reason they are popular

New Santa Cruz too, it's basically a heckler with 130mm travel
  • rockmonkeysc
    ej2320 wrote:

The Evans thing looses Norco a lot of sales, their poor service is legendary. I would have bought an Aurum but I couldn't spend £3800 at a shop where they wouldn't even get in and fit new springs at extra cost.
    The Aurum should be a lot more popular than it is. They really are good
  • lawman
    ej2320 wrote:

The Evans thing looses Norco a lot of sales, their poor service is legendary. I would have bought an Aurum but I couldn't spend £3800 at a shop where they wouldn't even get in and fit new springs at extra cost.
    The Aurum should be a lot more popular than it is. They really are good

Agreed. Evans are truly shocking and are seriously hurting sales in the UK at least. A friend at uni has an Aurum and even with my limited experience of proper DH bikes, it felt bloody awesome, much better than a DH720 another lad has.
  • rockmonkeysc
    That doesn't take much. I really didn't like the DH720 I demoed and everyone I have met who has one has broken at least one frame.
    If Norco become available through independent shops I will buy an Aurum as my next DH bike.
  • ej2320
    Interesting to hear the evans thing, shame, norco seems like a nice company

I'm taking the plunge on a 2014 transition frame! getting a covert on a discount!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Finally
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    Finally

I know I was setting up a lot of threads about it..
    But 3k is a lot of money for me
  • the new long travel manitou fork
  • lawman
    Just read the Pinkbike article on the Niner and this caught my eye...
    We suspect that Shimano will announce its eleven-speed one-by XTR group as early as the Interbike show next month

Now that is something I look forward too!
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    Just read the Pinkbike article on the Niner and this caught my eye...
    We suspect that Shimano will announce its eleven-speed one-by XTR group as early as the Interbike show next month

Now that is something I look forward too!

Awesome, shame I can't afford it!! really want an XT 11x1.. all 11x1 drivetrains are sooooo expensive
  • ej2320
    I want an affordable 11 x 1... if such a thing ever came out I would buy it

I love the idea of a 10-42 cassette.. this means you can run a 30 or 32 chainring and still have the equivalent of a 26 front 36 rear but with an even higher max gear something equal to 11 rear 34 front
  • lawman
    Unfortunately most "new" stuff starts out high-end and then trickles down through the price points. It'll be atleast mid-2014/early 2015 we see XT 1x11 I reckon. I'm not sure how long it took them to take 10 speed from XTR to XT though, but as I guess I'd say XTR will come first, followed by XT and then SLX.
  • ej2320
    makes sense to do it like that..

SRAM said (can't remember where) next year they are going to make an X0 and X9 1x11 drivetrain.. shame I don't like SRAM!
  • lawman
    X01 is already out. The thing for Sram is how they can make the cassette differently, as the process they use is supposedly super-expensive. Once they do that, they'll do an X91 group for sure.
  • ej2320
    Ahh yea, I remember the X01

I think the ultimate drivetrain would be SLX or XT 1x11
  • lawman
    Now this was looking like it had serious potential....

BWP2521.jpg

Near perfect spec, and it looks absolutely stunning...

But...

The toptube's too fecking short on all the sizes!! :evil:
  • ej2320
    Shame really, with a short stem I bet that feels a bit cramped

1 up for the transition... Long TT
  • lawman
    ej2320 wrote:
    Shame really, with a short stem I bet that feels a bit cramped

1 up for the transition... Long TT

Not overly so, the TT on the medium Covert is seriously short, yet the large is quite long, seems abit odd tbh. The bandit also looks short, the large is shorter than a Santa Cruz Solo and Mojo HD-R. Wish more manufacturers did longer TT's and/or shorter seat tubes. It's all very well going up a size to get the right TT length, but then you're left with a tall seat tube and it can cause problems with dropper posts and getting them low enough.
  • ej2320
    Transition said and showed they have put short seat tubes on to allow people to size up for the TT length

So if you want short TT you'd go medium or long TT you'd go large and you'd be able to fit both even though ones 17" and the other 18.5".. The seat tube is short enough that you can drop the saddle low on the 18.5" to fit

That's why I'd get the XL long TT
  • ej2320
    Another good thing, Conti have announced they are making all mtb tyres 650b and 29er sizes
  • lawman
    ej2320 wrote:
    Another good thing, Conti have announced they are making all mtb tyres 650b and 29er sizes

Not a hugely good thing, not a fan of contis, heck I'm sponsored by them and still don't use them :lol: