Jump Training / Instruction

Legion748
Legion748 Posts: 12
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Hi Guys

I live in the bucks / northants area and am looking for instruction / support on " how " to jump properly.?..trial and error is ok but can cause lumps n bumps !!!

anyone got any input...

cheers

Fil

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What type and size jumps?
    Are you talking about small xc/trail centre type stuff, big high speed downhill gap jumps or just big old dirt jumps and freeride?
  • What type and size jumps?
    Are you talking about small xc/trail centre type stuff, big high speed downhill gap jumps or just big old dirt jumps and freeride?

thanks for the reply dude....not small xc/trail type stuff but more akin to " Woburn " if you know of it...some gap jumps and dirt jumps that range from small to medium ! not even thought of the big old hooge stuff....that would be nice eventually....

cheers

fil
  • rockmonkeysc
    Get down to Somerset for a lesson with Chris Smith. Great coach and no one knows more about jumping.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Find a tabletop jump (flat top, no gap) to practice on, not too big, but not tiny either.

Roll over it first and then ride at it a bit quicker each time, you will find out the correct speed pretty quickly. It's important not to pull up too much, just try to match the slope of the takeoff, the rear of the bike should follow, spot your landing and guide the front of the bike to it.

What bike are you using? Hardtail, full sus, how much travel?
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • zulu12
    zulu12 Posts: 16
    Hi Fil

It depends on what you want to do.

If its just speed orientated jumping then speed stuff is probably easier (as crazy as it sounds) but the key is speed and momentum.

A few things I have learnt the hard way over the years:

* You will fall fact, not if when. When falling don't put your hands out, the vast majority of trauma occurs when putting your arms out, hence broken fingers, wrists, arms and shoulders. As soon as you realise its going wrong, throw the bike away from you and try and hit the ground rolling/sliding.

* if you fall get back on the bike as soon as you can and try it again. Don't let the fear get to you.

* Invest in a decent set of pads elbow, knee and if you can wristguards.

* Keep your weight centred over the saddle

* Start small and build up from there. As silly as it sounds, go out into the street and try and jump dropped kerbs, that's where many pros started. I still do it because its fun and it embarrasses my missus.

* Don't try and force it to start with, let the speed and momentum take you over.

* Have a clear picture in your mind on your approach of what you want to do.

* Tailor your jump to the length and size of the jump. In other words don't hit a 2m table top hammer and tongs, fly it 5m and land on flat ground, as a beginner you will probably cr*p yourself mid air, panic and instead of bailing try and land it. Invariably using your head as a brake!!! Judging speed to length comes with time and practice and you will either "hang up" or "over cook" it plenty before you crack it.

* Try and master the old BMX "bunny hop" this will help you shape the basics of controlling the bike in the air and once mastered the added benefit you can jump roots and the like which will in turn make you faster because you wont have to rely on your brakes all the time.

* Don't try and get cute with it, just jump straight until you are comfortable in the air and then try subtle things like turning the bars, shifting your weight left and right, tapping the back brake mid air and as you gain confidence the rest will come as your ability becomes stronger.

Watch the likes of Greg Minaar, the Athertons and the like (there is loads on Youtube) and you will see what I mean.

Lastly enjoy it. I turned 40 two months ago and I still get a buzz out of it every time I jump :twisted: .
  • rockmonkeysc
    Some ropey advice there.
    Either get someone good to give you some tips and show you or get professional coaching.
    Always remember, when in doubt go big.
  • Thanks Guys

45 here lol so ready for the " buzz ".....bike has plenty of travel for some decent jumps 300mm bombers up front marzozhi ( spelt wrong ) 8" + on the rear...

hmm ok....go fast lol or go home.?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Is that Super Monster T's? Good for hucking, feck all use for anything else!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Legion748 wrote:
    Thanks Guys

45 here lol so ready for the " buzz ".....bike has plenty of travel for some decent jumps 300mm bombers up front marzozhi ( spelt wrong ) 8" + on the rear...

hmm ok....go fast lol or go home.?

Are you Josh Bender?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Is Bender still alive?
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Woah! You don't need anywhere near that much travel, if anything it will hold you back.

The best for jumping is a hardtail with about 130mm travel. I'm not so down with the kids these days but when I were a lad Steve Geal was THE MAN, see if you can fine one of his videos on youtube.

Josh Bender LOL.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maro wrote:
    Woah! You don't need anywhere near that much travel, if anything it will hold you back.

The best for jumping is a hardtail with about 130mm travel. I'm not so down with the kids these days but when I were a lad Steve Geal was THE MAN, see if you can fine one of his videos on youtube.

Josh Bender LOL.

Look up Sprung 1 on youtube for some vintage Geall action. Steve is back on a DH bike, winning his first race in years by nearly 10 seconds. Back to BDS next year if word on the street is right.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Try here, really great coaching.

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk
  • rockmonkeysc
    They seem to be more xc/trail than downhill style that someone with a 300mm fork is going to need.
    He will need BIG speed to get that thing to jump.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    They've stuff plenty of big stuff there and the I'm prepared to bet their coaching and jumps can easily go well beyond what the OP seems to be after. Besides, nothing to lose by giving them a call and finding out what they can offer.