what would you do

ravenvrider
ravenvrider Posts: 198
edited September 2013 in MTB general
Went for a ride last sunday with my neighbour and 3 of his friends.

They didnt know the area so I was leading.
Top of a fast downhill I stopped them and told them where the dangers were and then I went down first.

Got halfway down dping 33mph strava....had a front tire blowout..sent me liteally off the edge big drop large bramble bush....I have no memory of the crash...I just remember waking up in bush totally dazed...climbed up to path...walkers phone ambulance...turns out I was unconscious for 50 od minutes in bush...broke 2 vertibra one badley now got spine brace and 12 week recovery..oh and broken eye socket....still in hospital.

Dilema....my neighbour and his mates did not come bavk up the hill to find me...they rode arpund for a bit and then went home....seny his wife to ours when he found out what happened to me....he still hasnt called..texted..emailed..strava commented me at all...or even visited me in hospital...going home tomorrow.....dilema......what the hell do I say to him

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    "Thanks a bunch you cnut!"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    "Just as well I wasn't seriously hurt"
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Absolutely fark all. What a cnut! I'd want to smash him in the face but I'd just blank him!

Oh and I hope you get better soon mate, sounds nasty!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Still can't get my head around it. Lazy, selfish cnuts.

They probally havn't said anything to you out of shame however.
  • welshkev
    Yeah I've just thought of that. As above, do you think he hasn't contacted you cos he's worried you'll be angry with him?
  • Apperntly he was crying at home the other night about it...so his wife tells mine....I just think he knows they fcked up bigtime but hasnt got the bolloxto contact me direct or even spesk tp my partner...although she did tell him he was a prick and I would never have left anyone
    Sorry about spelling just had meds
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Obviously not a mate, obviously is a knob. Forget him and move on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Punch him in the throat.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    What an arsehole leaving you like that, clearly he is no friend at all. I think I would tell him exactly what you think of him.
  • with friends like that who needs enemies!

Worry about getting better and finding some real riding buddies.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    What you do and how you treat your neighbour depends on what you think is going on in his head.

I'd like to believe that most people who ride are basically decent and that this guy and his mates didn't for one moment think that you were lying injured and unconscious in a bramble thicket when they decided to leave the area. It's distressing to know that they left you, but it could be just a mistake or error of judgement, albeit a pretty thoughtless one.

What is more disappointing is that he hasn't the guts to come and tell you he's sorry and take responsibility for his actions. My opinion is that this would have been the right thing to do at the earliest opportunity, regardless of what your reaction might be.

I hope you're able to move on without any unpleasantness in the future, best wishes for a swift and full recovery.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • D-lock.

Sounds like someone off this forum, a typical crudder. It was obviously a compliment as he left you in a ditch with your head (presumed) backwards.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • cooldad
    Batmo wrote:
    What you do and how you treat your neighbour depends on what you think is going on in his head.

I'd like to believe that most people who ride are basically decent and that this guy and his mates didn't for one moment think that you were lying injured and unconscious in a bramble thicket when they decided to leave the area. It's distressing to know that they left you, but it could be just a mistake or error of judgement, albeit a pretty thoughtless one.

What is more disappointing is that he hasn't the guts to come and tell you he's sorry and take responsibility for his actions. My opinion is that this would have been the right thing to do at the earliest opportunity, regardless of what your reaction might be.

I hope you're able to move on without any unpleasantness in the future, best wishes for a swift and full recovery.
    Rubbish - someone doesn't get to the bottom, you go back and look for them. End of.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • WindyG
    100% with cooldad, I wouldn't go home until everybody I was with were accounted for, no excuse to ride off and leave someone.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    cooldad wrote:
    Rubbish - someone doesn't get to the bottom, you go back and look for them. End of.
    You would and I would too. But there's a possibility he's made a foolish, stupid and thoughtless assumption that the OP had reached the bottom and just kept riding, isn't there?

Or am I too trusting...?
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Wow thats going to make things awkward. I would be tempted to put a brick through his windows but thats not going to end well. I suppose the sensible thing to do is wait till your heads not fuzzed up with painkillers and go round and knock on the door and ask him straight out why he left you. If you dont its going to fester and I know from experience if you dont get on with your neighbours its a complete pain in the arris. Try not to lose your rag you have the moral high ground.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've walked back with a bloke i wasn't even out riding with when I found him injured.

If you are in a group you go home with the same number you start with.

The guy sounds racked with guilt. I'd leave him to stew, he'll apologise eventually.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I've walked back with a bloke i wasn't even out riding with when I found him injured.

If you are in a group you go home with the same number you start with.

The guy sounds racked with guilt. I'd leave him to stew, he'll apologise eventually.

Or he will move house to avoid you.

Speed recovery.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Sounds nasty mate, wish you a speedy recovery.

That is bang out of order, I wouldn't ever speak to the chap again. There is no excuse for leaving someone with no injuries let alone life threatening injuries.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    invite him over for food and poisen him :) simples.
  • Tbh its not easy apparently when the four of them got to the bottom one of them said he saw me go through the gate ....either he lied or was mistaken anyway apparently they have de-friended him...looking at their strava route they went up and down the road but not the downhill we had just done.

Although I cant get my head around why they didn't go back up what is really irritating me is he has not tried to contact me since.

Its not they we are just neighbours our boys play together all their time
  • welshkev
    Tbh its not easy apparently when the four of them got to the bottom one of them said he saw me go through the gate ....either he lied or was mistaken anyway apparently they have de-friended him...looking at their strava route they went up and down the road but not the downhill we had just done.

Although I cant get my head around why they didn't go back up what is really irritating me is he has not tried to contact me since.

Its not they we are just neighbours our boys play together all their time

yeah that's the bad thing. but I reckon it's that he's embarrassed. maybe text him and call him a cnut and ask why they didn't come back up? say you could've died and scare him a bit, see what his response is?
  • Get over it and move on,but don't let it be a wasted lesson to you.
    people are like pens if they don't work shake em
  • smithy220 wrote:
    Get over it and move on,but don't let it be a wasted lesson to you.
    This^^
    No point wasting energy on cnuts.
  • Thanks for the thoughts guys, in the end i did not get out of hospital until Sunday night so Monday i added a strava manual workout detailing exactly what happened to me, my neighbour and 1 of his friends commented and we had a very long discussion about it all....long story short he knows he made a number of bad decisions and really is racked with guilt not only for leaving me but for not contacting me afterwards.

I have calmed down now and need to spend my energy on recovery so have put an end to it.

Just in case anyone else is thinking of doing something that could break their back...it flippin hurts! almost all the time even with loads of morphine, the spine brace you have to wear is incredibly tight to the point it restricts your breathing and very uncomfortable at night yes you wear it 24/7...the most pleasurable thing ever is getting your partner to scratch your back when washing your back every morning!

Gonna be a very long 12 weeks..now where'd i put that morphine
  • cooldad
    Unless your partner is called Gavin and scratching your back is a euphemism.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • WindyG
    I don't think you should send your neighbour a xmas card this year, that'll show him.