Oes tubular cement go totally dry between glueings

wheeledwidewebb
wheeledwidewebb Posts: 254
edited September 2013 in Workshop
Newbie tubular convert here :roll:

I have just mounted some schwalbe ultremo ht tubs on a pair of Zipps using schwalbe cement.

I did three thin layers on the rims and two on the tubs but even waiting 48 hours between coats, the cement was still tacky. Not wet at all but certainly 'just' tacky.

Is this normal?

The reason I ask is because I want to pre stretch and pre glue a spare but if the stuff remains tacky then won't it just stick together on itself when I wrap it up in a saddle bag?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It is a combination of the glue and the pressure that keeps the tub secure.

Without the pressure you will be able to move the tub so your spare will be OK.

FWIW I have just done similar but only used 2 rim/1 tub layer. 3 and 2 seems overkill.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Oh thanks, I was worried that it should be totally dry.

I was only going to do 2 and 1, as per the Zipp instructions but then I read somewhere else that 3 and 2 is good. You live and learn.

Thank you.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I use two layers of glue on each (drying overnight between) and for the final mounting the glue is just skinned-over. Single-layer of cement is asking for trouble IME.
    Zipp probably only specify one because:
    1. The rim is going to break sooner rather than later and you'll need to pull the tyre off
    2. If you do manage to ride a Zipp wheel long enough to puncture, pulling the tub off will likely pull the rim apart
    3. You want to save the tub as it'll be worth more than the remnants of your wheel!
    ;-) ;-) ;-)
    Cue legions of flaming from Zipp wheel riders because they need to justify the need for buying over-priced, fragile wheels
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    2 on the rim and 1 on the tub is 3 layers, not a single layer.

As for Zipp, I have no issues at all with your 3 claims :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Back to your question :)
    i ve never used that make of glue, but ~Conti and vittoria cement will be touch dry in minutes and fully cured - dry - to ride within 24hrs max.

so no issues with the spare sticking together, you need to try it out first, different folding of the spare will put glue to tread and not glue to glue.
  • Umm, OK. Maybe I will pre glue my spare with continental cement then.

Cheers.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    glue the spare, let it dry for a few days, then fold it and keep in a ziploc/similar plastic bag (so that it doesn't get sweat or spray on it)

the glue may stick very slightly, but not enough to be an issue as the applied pressure is low

when you actually fit it on the rim, the contact pressure is far higher and it'll stick well enough to ride ok, although i'd avoid hard braking or heroic cornering speeds

in the pic, the spare tub is on the left, folded tape to tape so that the glue isn't exposed

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny