10 speed to 9 speed conversion

amjad175
amjad175 Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in The workshop
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a BionX electric conversion kit since it's available for a reasonable price now, my bike has a 10 speed cassette which would need to be changed to a 9 speed.

I would like some advice on what's required;

Bike: Fuji Absolute 1.0 2012.
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105 10 speed. Cassette: Shimano Tiagra, 12/28 tooth 10-Speed, Chain, KMC X10.

Apart from the Cassette does anything else need to be changed? Which 9 speed Cassette would you recommend?

Thanks.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I believe you have to use a freewheel set up rather than a freehub and cassette. so you'll need to get a 10 speed freewheel and then bobs your uncle. you can also use 10 speed shifters with a 9 speed freewheel. limit screws will stop it jumping off the small cog if you change into 10.

On a more flippant point - just MTFU and pedal or buy a moped. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    Id recommend saving your money, aren't those kits around £1000 and weigh around 5kg, you could buy a lighter bike for that which would be easier to cycle.
  • t4tomo wrote:
    I believe you have to use a freewheel set up rather than a freehub and cassette. so you'll need to get a 10 speed freewheel and then bobs your uncle. you can also use 10 speed shifters with a 9 speed freewheel. limit screws will stop it jumping off the small cog if you change into 10.

I have emailed the supplier to find out exactly what's needed, I believe they supply the rear wheel built except for the cassette. I'll update the thread when I have a reply.
    t4tomo wrote:
    On a more flippant point - just MTFU and pedal or buy a moped. :D

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I would but I just don't use the bike enough at present, it's very hilly around here and I've found it a bit dangerous with bus drivers getting impatient due to my slow speed.

The idea is to get fitter and more confident, a moped won't help with that. :lol:
  • Huckfinn wrote:
    Id recommend saving your money, aren't those kits around £1000 and weigh around 5kg, you could buy a lighter bike for that which would be easier to cycle.

I do want to use the bike more but run out of puff due to the hilly area! The bike itself is very light, around 11KG with the pannier rack I've added.

The kit I'm after has come down to £549 inc. delivery. I'd post a link but since I've just joined it might be considered advertising.
  • The retailer got back to me, I just needed a freewheel like t4tomo mentioned. I've gone ahead and ordered the kit and freewheel.

Thank you for the quick replies.