Keeping tyre pressures up on a multi-day ride

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited September 2013 in Tour & expedition
Those of you who have gone on trips of more than 3 or 4 days - how do you keep your tyre pressures up?

I run mine at 100psi and my mini pump I carry doesn't have a pressure gauge on it. I've no idea how I would be checking pressures or getting them that high without carrying a track pump. Is it just a case of sticking in as much air as you can manage and guessing what is about enough?

Comments

• On my JOGLE I cheated, as I went past a Halfords I quickly popped in and they checked them for me. This happened on 3 days. :oops:
    On the other days, I just topped up the tyres each morning as they will only lose a few psi each day.

If you are planning on doing a few multi day rides, then it may well be worth spending the money to get a decent mini pump with a gauge, or in fact a frame pump that is easier to get to higher pressures.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I was gonna say the same thing - find local bike shop, explain multi day touring, ask to borrow track pump, offer biscuits

I'm guessing for a multiday tour you would have a good pump anyway - you won't lose that much and most portable pumps can't go past 8bar so it's unlikely you'd overinflate
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • You can get cheap mini pumps with pressure gauges.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Topeak Road Morph with gauge does the job for me. Pretty effortless to 110psi. Not the smallest but definitely the one I take on multi-day rides. I use the top tube mount and while for many I m sure this detracts from the look of the bike I really don't care!!
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    I sometimes whack my tyre presure up via a service station or garage's air hose.

If you have Presta valves, you'll need a tiny adaptor to suit the car-type connector.

Be very careful, though, as it only takes a few seconds to inflate a narrow bicycle tyre.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • rodgers73
    The Road Morph looks a good bet. I'm anticipating European cycling and I've no idea how often I'd come across an LBS or what the attitudes there might be like!

Seems like this is the solution. I'll be carrying panniers so shoving this in one would be easy - doubt I could have lugged a track pump around though.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I can't see the problem I'm afraid. I ride everyday 60 miles and I don't check tyre pressure that often. My Grandad used to be obsessed with checking his car and bike tyre pressures. Perhaps it is a generational thing or perhaps you need to buy tubes and tyres man enough for job. Modern tubes tend to keep their pressure pretty well compared with those of yester year. I use Schwalbe tubes. Second the Topeak Morph pumps. I have a MTB one (larger volume) which will pump up to 160psi, but I use a track pump at home.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Don't worry about it.

If you are losing a lot of pressure in even a week of riding, then you need better inner tubes/repairs.

You honestly won't be able to tell the difference if you are losing 5-10psi in a week.

If I get a puncture, my pump gets me to about 75psi before I get bored (tyres usually at 85psi). I couldn't tell the difference in reality. I just make sure I put the pressure back up with the track pump nice I get home.

I pump up the tyres on my commuting bike every couple of weeks - maybe adding 10 psi.

Really don't stress about it.
  • rodgers73
    My main concern was leaving myself open to pinch flats if the pressure dropped too low.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If the pressure is dropping that much in 3-4 days, you are either on latex tubes or crap ones.

Shouldn't be an issue.
  • rodgers73
    ok, cheers
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Buy a separate pressure gauge. I have a lightweight plastic one called Pressographe, made in France, probably by Zefal. Small and light enough to carry with you and similar accuracy to my track pump gauge. If your mini pump is not up to getting the pressure you need, buy one that is. Zefal HPX. Frame fitting pumps are superb.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    I only check my pressures once a week so you should be fine for three/four days.

Only problem would be if you got a normal puncture and reinflating to 100psi, but others have made suggestions about that.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    If pressure is dropping so much in a short time then there must be a puncture in the tube or the valve is crap/leaking. Again buy decent tubes such as Schwalbe.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Oh.

I ride around 100 miles a week.

I diligently check the tyres monthly.

I'll go and sit in this corner then.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's all right Tusher. I check mine every week. Some of my spare tubes are a bit more leaky than others.

To the OP: If you carry a frame pump then you'll have no problem reaching high pressures. Well worth the weight/style penalty IMO.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rodgers73
    I seem to need to put about 10psi into my tyres after 2 or 3 days of the bike sitting in the garage.

Tubes no good??