First Audax - How to not get lost

manxshred
manxshred Posts: 295
I have been looking for something to do in September, and thought about doing an Audax or something like the the Lake Distrinct 100.
I am thinking of doing the Pistyll Packing Momma and have been taking a look at the route guide.
How on earth do you not get lost. I do not know the area at all (not from the UK) so have no idea of the landmarks. I can follow a map well, but it just seems impossible to follow the route guide while cycling. I battle to follow it sitting at my desk.

Any tips or advice?

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Load the route into a gps or go off with the front group and stay with them would be my advice.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Ankles50
    Ankles50 Posts: 53
    At the very least have a basic computer telling you KM's as you'll be given an A4 piece of paper with the whole route detailed on, typically road names, land marks are mentioned along side the directional SO's and RT's etc pointers and KM distances

You soon get used to reaching into the jersey pocket and checking the next half dozen or so pointers. You then re-fold the paper at the control points so it shows the next bit you have to do.
  • Don't stick it in your pocket, put it in a plastic freezer bag (they usually give you these on audaxes) and clip it round your forearm with a rubber band, then you can read it much more easily.

You can get various map holders to hold the route sheet on your handlebars, but putting it round your arm is simpler and leaves you with more handlebar space.
  • Hi,

A bit of preparation

Ask the organiser if they have a GPX download or if its mapped somewhere. If not ask on http://yacf.co.uk/ and maybe someone else has GPX'd the route.
    Mark the route onto a paper map and have a couple of copies with you.
    Have a look at the route using google streetview
    buy a mapholder

I used to totalise the Km/Miles on the route sheet and compare with mileometer to give an indication of the when to expect the next turn.

Have fun :)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Mr Bunbury wrote:
    Don't stick it in your pocket, put it in a plastic freezer bag (they usually give you these on audaxes) and clip it round your forearm with a rubber band, then you can read it much more easily.

You can get various map holders to hold the route sheet on your handlebars, but putting it round your arm is simpler and leaves you with more handlebar space.

that is a brilliant solution ! cheers

I have found that breast milk freezer bags (can you spot I have small children) are the perfect size for a mobile phone and completely water impregnable due to good quality plastic and double seals
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Ankles50
    Ankles50 Posts: 53
    Don't worry about an odd detour either, part and parcel of my Audax experiences have been the extra miles due to a missed turn every now and then
  • Although they appear quite confusing at first sight, Audax route sheets are in fact very straightforward and effective. Just take it a line at a time. As soon as you've followed one direction, note the distance to the next and check what you are looking for. A gpx file loaded into a Garmin or similar can be even more straightforward but I also have the route card as a back up and would recommend learning how to use them (its quite easy and its part of the fun)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yes, did one earlier in the year in north Cornwall and the route sheets are part of the fun. Great sense of achievement in successfully navigating a course. We just stopped at every line ... Easy peaky if you know the distance when the changes occur
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Even if organiser doesn`t provide a route sheet you could transcribe the turn by turn details onto software such as ridewith gps or basecamp.

The route is not obligatory either--it is the recommended route, as long as you get stamps / verification at each control on your brevet card it`s OK.

Having started back on Audaxes this year I use a GPS, maybe detracts from spirit of `adventure` but it`s very easy then :) If you`ve not got a GPS then maybe consider something like an Etrex 10 / 20 works very well, long battery life (25 hr) and mounts via separate bike bracket OK. Doesn`t have training functions like Edge series as it is a navigational tool---ie what Audaxes require :)

Best wishes with your venture into Audax---I`ve enjoyed my return this year :)
  • On solo rides I often take the time to look at the junctions on google street view, then when I arrive at the location where I need to turn, I've sort of been there before ;)
  • All the above are good tips. I use a GPS and have a gpx for Pistyll Packing Momma, let me know if you want it. It's a great ride (I'll be doing it again this year), it's a tough one, but the scenery is superb. Highly recommended.
  • use a downloaded gps file full stop. i have gotten lost on almost every audax even though i can decipher a cue sheet -- you make one wrong turn in some wooded hills and can end up miles off course (typically without phone signal, so my iphone gps is useless).
  • upton
    upton Posts: 40
    On solo rides I often take the time to look at the junctions on google street view, then when I arrive at the location where I need to turn, I've sort of been there before ;)

Snap! Although a bit harder to do if it's long/there are a lot of junctions!

Maybe try to befriend a few people who know what they are doing in case?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I keep an eye in garages and buy big scale road atlasses when they are on special (£2.99, etc.) due to being a year old. Then, I rip out the pages for the route I am doing and stuff these in a pocket. On rides where I am worried because the routecard doesn't look too good then I will spend a few minutes just going over the map with a highlighter pen to pick out the main towns. The whole point of audaxes is that the route is just a suggestion and it is the controls that are mandatory so getting lost is not a big issue as long as you can get back on track without too many miles added and the important controls ticked off.

Some other good tips are already above. I also use a mapholder for the routecard and, if time permits, also use Streetview to pick out some junctions that look a bit confusing on the routecard.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Some bits of Pystyll Packin Momma look a bit complicated on the routesheet, but it's actually a very good routesheet and easy enough to follow when you're out on the road.
    The distances aren't 100% bang-on (never are on any audax I've done) but are within 0.3km or so, so you can tell if it's the right junction.

I made a mapboard from an old bit of board with holes in it for a couple of zipties around the handlebar and stem.
    It's about A6 size, ie holds an A4 sheet folded in quarters.
    The routesheet goes on in its plastic bag with a couple of bulldog clips.
    You have to refold and turn it round a couple of times per ride to see what's on the back.

Read one or two instructions ahead, so you know you'll be turning right in about 2km and then immediately left.

Might be worth printing/copying a 2nd copy of the route if it looks like it's going to be a very wet ride !
    (it was up in the hills in Wales last year, but back at the start in Cheshire they said it had been a lovely day !)
  • For anyone that is GPS phobic such as myself, the following are recommended:

1. As Bobbinogs suggests, buy a cheap road map and cut up for the back pocket in case you get lost.

2. Purchase a mini-map holder to sit on your handlebars or stem. That we you can easily view the route card.

Comparative costs:

Garmin 500 = £152

versus

Road map = £1.99
    Route card holder = £19.99
    cost: £21.98