Replacement for High Roller?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Currently running a 2.35 Maxxis Minion DHF front and High Roller 2.35 rear, and it seems to be a good combo for most conditions, although a little slow rolling, I can forgive that for the extra grip!

Checking my bike over, the HR has a large cut from rim to tread, not quite right through yet, but it may go through in time, so I'm after a replacement before it does.

The DHF's a folding kevlar, and at about 700g, around the lightest of the DHF family, but the HR's wired and around 800g, so I could go with a folding kevlar version of that too and save a little rotational weight.

I don't really want to give up any grip, so another HR's the obvious choice, but does anyone have any other recommendations please? I ride mostly XC, trail centres, and the Lakes, so something reasonably resistant to rocks would be a bonus! ;)

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Pacestar Hans Dampf? I run them and they do everything I ask of them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Conti Rubber Queen black chilli 2.2".
    Immense grip, reasonable weight, not bad rolling resistance.
    I have had Hans Dampf and they are just too big and too slow rolling and too heavy. For a 2.35 tyre they are massive. Much bigger than a 2.5 minnion
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I have had Hans Dampf and they are just too big and too slow rolling and too heavy. For a 2.35 tyre they are massive. Much bigger than a 2.5 minnion

Which compoud did you run and what pressures? I've got a trailstar/pacestar combo and find they roll and grip superbly. Best tyre's I've ever had by a mile. And tbh I don't think the size works against them, yes they are big, but frankly I see and feel no downsides to it. It's a better 2.35 than the sorry excuse maxxis call a 2.35...
  • broona
    I'd be putting the tyre on a Boardman FS Pro, and the HR's a reasonably snug fit on there now, not sure I could fit a Hans Dampf in there, any chance you could measure the actual width for me please? Cheers. :)

Will look into the Rubber Queen too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You wont get a Hans Dampf on there.
    The 2.2" rubber queen is about the same size as a 2.35 HR. I use the Black Chilli Race Sport version which is 660g and Bikediscount.de have them for £28 each
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    on there rear,

Purgotry 2.3 control specialized slightly faster rolling and lighter than HR but more consistant grip accross the carcass.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    I use Hans dampf tyres - Trailstar (grippy compound) front and pace star (quicker compound) rear and they are awesome - not slow and very grippy in most conditions.

The are high volume tyres but they are certainly not larger than a 2.5 HR or Minion. They will look massive compared to the 2.35 Maxxis tyres mind. They are modestly bigger than a 2.2 rubber queen as you would expect. If the Maxxis is a tight fit I'd say the Hans Dampf is going to be bigger.

I'd go for a black chilli rubber queen out back to reduce your rolling resistance whilst maintaining good grip (there are very durable on the whole too) and leave a tried and tested Maxxis up front for the cornering bite they offer. I've run these combos (RQ & Minion) before and they've worked well.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    An Ardent on the back would go well with your Minion for trail riding

Faster lighter and less draggy than an HR especially on the rear and grippy enough. Advantages very similar to Ardents, slightly slower, slightly more grippy. They're high volume you may want to consider a 2.1 if space is limited.

Personally I would bin the Minion esp since it's a 2.35 and get a Specialized Butcher Control. They are like 21st century Minions with all the good features and none of the bad ones. Good size, light-ish, fast rolling, inexpensive, huge grip and very confidence-inspiring. Recommended.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    broona wrote:
    I'd be putting the tyre on a Boardman FS Pro, and the HR's a reasonably snug fit on there now, not sure I could fit a Hans Dampf in there, any chance you could measure the actual width for me please? Cheers. :)

You won't fit a Hans Dampf on the rear - they're huge. On my Team FS I have a 2.2 XR3 on the rear, that measures 53mm across the carcass (on my 19mm rims) and doesn't have much clearance. I have a 2.3 on the front (57mm across carcass), not sure that would even go on the rear, never mind a monster Hans.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    lawman wrote:

Which compoud did you run and what pressures? I've got a trailstar/pacestar combo and find they roll and grip superbly. Best tyre's I've ever had by a mile. And tbh I don't think the size works against them, yes they are big, but frankly I see and feel no downsides to it. It's a better 2.35 than the sorry excuse maxxis call a 2.35...
    Totally agree with you Lawman, I love the size as I can run low pressure for stupid amounts of grip, they roll fine and are actually very light compared to equivalent tyres from other brands.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • rockmonkeysc
    The size is fine until you get some mud then drag is horrible. I tried them because people seem to like them, I really didn't like them, even with the pacestar compound.
    I have found the Rubber Queens give much more grip, less drag, they are lighter and cheaper if you shop around.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    The size is fine until you get some mud then drag is horrible. I tried them because people seem to like them, I really didn't like them, even with the pacestar compound.

Love a HD up front, point & shoot - brilliant, not sure i'd be wanting one on the back though... especially on all day epics
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    pilch wrote:

Love a HD up front, point & shoot - brilliant, not sure i'd be wanting one on the back though... especially on all day epics

Honestly, I'd say the pacestar on the rear rolls better than the Nobby Nic it replaced, and indeed I'd say better than anything similar I've tried, high roller's etc. I've been doing 30 mile rides on them and thousands of feet of climbing, especially at the long mynd a few weeks back. 1x10, huge hills and didn't have to get off and walk once. Was also a god send at a hellishly loose eastridge forest. As far as all-rounders go, best tyre on the market by a distance and if you want more speed, rock razor out back and you'll have a corner-shredding rocket ship. IMO Schwalbe have the tyre market wrapped up.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    dusk wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Totally agree with you Lawman, I love the size as I can run low pressure for stupid amounts of grip, they roll fine and are actually very light compared to equivalent tyres from other brands.

This... The HD is superb big yes but roll rally well
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • broona
    Cheers for all the replies, will take a look through some reviews. :)
  • Conti Rubber Queen black chilli 2.2".

How do the 2.2" RQ's compare to a 2.1" Nevegal? I am looking for something slightly bigger than the Nevegal for my Trance.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • @Bishbosh - I'd say a black chilli RQ is far superior to a regular nevegal in terms of grip. The tackier compounds of nevegals are alright but they drag whereas the black chilli is grippy and rolls really well. RQ everytime over a nevegal for me.

Also - for the OP - this is my bike with 2.35 HDs to give you an idea of size:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12932332
  • Thanks Tom - perhaps i should have been a little clearer in my question - how big are the RQ's compared to the Nevegals? Already convinced on the traction front ;)
  • ah - sorry - my mis-interpretation. RQs are big for their size. The 2.2 will look healthily larger than a 2.1 nevegal - I'd say a 2.2 RQ is about the same as a 2.35 minion or HR in terms of width but with much more volume (higher tyre, rounder profile). It will fit in the vast majority of frames fine. (The 2.4 is enormous - only just fits under a Fox 36!)
  • Thanks for that. Best get hunting the best price then... :)