Friction burns

isimba
isimba Posts: 44
edited September 2013 in Training, fitness and health
I have been cycling for around 2 and 1/2 years and recently I have developed what look likes friction burns on the top of my legs and side of my balls. I am probably doing around the same miles are last summer - going to be just shy of 200 miles this month - I have never used that lube cream you can get. Any ideas why it is occouring now and never before?

The only thing I can think of it the padded shorts I use have lost their shape (nearing two years old). I have been using sudacrem but it doesn't seem to help. I think I will have a week off running and cycling and see if it heals. Any suggestions on what would help it heal?

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Time off til it's healed then chamois creme. After 2 years those shorts don't owe you anything so may be an idea to get some new ones
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    I'm no expert but word from the missus who as a nurse is up on infection control, is that normal washing doesnt kill bacteria even at hot temps, what does is steam ironing. Could be your shorts are a bacteria farm and the rubbing is cause the sores. Shes also not a fan of sudacrem and gets to treat lots of peoples @rs sores as part of her job (nice), air , cleaning and avoiding it being sweaty may help, this is what I'm doing while waiting for a small @rs boil/abscess to clear up. ps if it becomes infected due to the location trip to GP/antibiotics maybe needed .
  • isimba
    isimba Posts: 44
    Yeah, I think I will use this as an excuse to get some bib shorts. I will keep off it for a week and see if it improves if not take myself to the doctor.

I have put some liquid skin on it today to see if that helps but I dont think it is infected. Will keep my eye on it. Although not too much as that might look a little off if I was always looking at my balls.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You need to keep yourself meticulously clean down there especially if you are riding a lot of miles. Savlon cream is the stuff to use as it is an anti-sceptic cream amongst other properties. Works for me when I use it, not everyday though. Apply a liberal covering just before you put on shorts and if you are suffering soreness after a shower but make sure you dry the area thoroughly first. You can also apply it before you go to bed so it works while you are asleep. IANAD so if in doubt contact your doctor.

Also your shorts might be worn out but my favs (Decathlon top jobbies) are now 4-5 years old and still doing fine. I have a couple of pairs of much newer shorts (Ronhill) which sometimes do give me discomfort. Each variety have a slightly different shape and cut, pad as well as short. I guess you haven't found your ideal shorts yet. There is a test of 36 bib shorts in this week's comic (Cycling Weekly) which is useful reading.

HTH.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Mac-cos wrote:
    I'm no expert but word from the missus who as a nurse is up on infection control, is that normal washing doesnt kill bacteria even at hot temps, what does is steam ironing.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you suggesting that he steam irons his balls !?!?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Maybe but I'd advise trying not to touch the skinsac with the metal plate :/
  • Friction burn appearance might be a fungal infection - like athletes foot - moist/glistening appearance, angry red? no amount of washing etc will help - in fact too much soap etc can actually upset the skins natural balance and allow fungal infection to get a hold. Show it to a medical person - nurse or doc - showing the girl at Boots will probably get you arrested ;-)
    Leaving shorts (pad) in UV light - sunshine - actually kills a lot of stuff - make sure your shorts are always well rinsed and dry out thoroughly & relativley quickly to prevent fungal growth in them. If it is a fungal infection you need to treat or bin teh shorts too. Washing at 30-40 C wont kill it.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Possibly a fungal infection. If the soreness re-accurs after you have tried various self treatments then it will need a doctors diagnosis. There are pills and ointments for it. Get back on here if you see a doc. and tell us what they said.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    cyco2 wrote:
    Possibly a fungal infection. If the soreness re-accurs after you have tried various self treatments then it will need a doctors diagnosis. There are pills and ointments for it. Get back on here if you see a doc. and tell us what they said.
    Had this. I'd had previous saddle sores and had self-treated them effectively but this was different. Sudacrem stopped any itchiness but wasn't touching the actual soreness. After a month I went to the doctor who diagnosed a fungal infection, I was prescribed some Dactacort cream (anti-fungal and also a corto-steroid) and it cleared up 2 weeks after applying the cream properly.

Save yourself the month's uncomfortable riding and get a medical professional to take a look and prescribe the right treatment.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.